June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (earlyriser), 277 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,049
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an additional note, it would seem that the first Czech proof was applied in 1925 also. So I see a Ferlach proof from 1925, a Czech proof from 1925, and another Czech proof from 1956 (N for Nitro I belive).

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could the gun have had the barrels sleeved??...I see the rib changes pattern at the TK marking, and I see what appears to be a weep hole in the bottom rib in front of the forend???

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunut, I am with you on this. The joint of new and old tubes was engraved to hide the line.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

My present thinking is that a Czech gunsmith with initials TK made this nice job in 1956. He took an 1925 Ferlach double with bad bores and sleeved it using barrels from a prewar Simson & Co. gun.

With kind regards,
Jani

Last edited by montenegrin; 12/24/11 03:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani, I still am leaning to the fact that it was finished in either Prague or Weipert and one reason is that it doesn't have the Ferlach Nitro proof, NP sub f. Also if it bears true, the double-tailed Bohemian Lion between the 8690 & 25, represents a new mark for the 3rd proof effort and will have either a 1, for Prague, or 2, for Weipert, on his breastplate and it would have been among the earliest being from 1925. That's why I think it was finished by the craftsmen in either Prague or Weipert. Then in 1956/1958 the stylized little demon of a Bohemian Lion represent the black powder proof of the tubeset while the N in a shield notes the 4th proof of semi-smokeless for scatterguns. Unless Simson, which was just a figure-head by the 1950s, had a client in Bohemia, I'm still a bit perplexed for a time.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, I do not oppose your conclusion that the gun left Ferlach in 1925 in un unfinished state and was finalized in Bohemia in the same year (I didn't have time to go into finer points of Czechoslovanian proof rules). The gun in doubtlessly Ferlach made and the place of final finish inside Austria/Bohemia is a minor question here IMO, the major one being the proper explanation of the Simson connection.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani, if you get a chance please school us on the finer points of the Czech proof laws but yes the Simson connection is most perplexing. By the time of the production of this sporting weapon, with the aide of the Treat of Versailles, Simson was deep in production of Lugers along with the repair/conversion of military weapons. Simson was also churning out autos and bicycles along with baby carriages. At some point the name migrated to Simson Waffen & Fahrzeug GmbH, possibly in 1933 when the alternate name Waffa was used. It was at this same time that the Zella-Mehlis Association of Weapons makers, with Brother Walther with the ink quill, became pen pals with Adolf Hitler complaining that Simson & Company had a monopoly and was the reason the weapons industry had tanked in the early 1930s. At any rate the name Simson & Company on the top rib would seem to have originated prior to 1933. By 1946 SAG Awtowelo and by the time of the re-proof of the sporting weapon of question the name had transformed to VEB Fahrzeug-und Gerätewerk Simson Suhl. So I would say the name atop the tubes was applied circa 1925 and it is possible the tubeset was renovated but still without any German proofs it is most interesting. But cross-sourcing by the Germans to other gunmaking centers is apparent.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nicht fur Kugel- means- Not For Ball(s)-- Does not mean this fine 20 bore was made just for the female Schutzen market though, it means- Not for shooting slugs- only birdshot- absence of chamber length in German-Austrian guns of that normally precludes the fact that the chambers are 65mm- aka- 2 & 9/16" but they could also be 2 & 1/2"-- Frohen Weinachts auf Alles herein, und ein Guten Nacht mit Schiesekuchen, Ya!!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/25/11 10:37 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I forgot to note that Simson did indeed offer a couple of hammergun, Hahn-Doppelfline mit Oberhebel Verschluß, Modell 83 & Modell 84 with the 84 being Wie Modell 83, aber besser ausgestattet, besseres Schaftholz, englische Gravur.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani:
Is the frame typical Ferlach possibly sourced from the Genossenschaft der Büchsenmachermeister or might it be a gesteck from Suhl? Anyway, at 1st glance it seems odd that the preliminary mark for the 1st firing of the intertwined EF to be on the flats and not higher on the tubes. Then the mark of the crowned shield notes the 2nd firing followed by the double headed imperial eagle with a "1" on its breastplate. These are all correct in sequence and it was in September 1929 that the NP sub f, for Ferlach, became the final proofmark. Still a full image of the water table may aide in solving the puzzle. NICHT FÜR KUGEL & JEN PRO BROKY just note some degree of choke.

I wonder if the TK notes one of the Krnka Boys?? I don't know if there was a T. Krnka or not. Also didn't the Weipert proofhouse close in 1954?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.