June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (HalfaDouble, eeb, Lawrence Kotchek, buckstix, Chuckster, 2 invisible), 401 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,591
Posts546,778
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
11F Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, there are two styles of Miller installation in the Model 32, the earlier one developed by Elmer is somewhat more complex. Like the Winchester Model 21 installation I believe the first style in the M32 involved making new hammers. Apparently, Howard on the late M32 installation simplified it a bit. The Model 32 single trigger is not very good and the Miller is a dramatic improvement (I've owned both...) As far as ALL genuine Miller triggers being marked "MILLER", that's not completely accurate. The only problem (IMHO)with the Miller is the rather homely, oversized appearance of the trigger blade itself. They were masters of the file but as Howard and Delbert got older the triggers got chunkier. I know of a number of Miller triggered guns that have trigger blades filed and shaped into a more elegant trigger blade yet are genuine Miller installed units. My Purdey pigeon gun is one. The rocker gives it away as a later Miller but the trigger blade has been carefully shaped and looks Purdey. I know of a few others where one of the early nicely spoon shaped Fox front triggers was used to replace the blade of a Miller.

Last edited by 11F; 12/23/11 08:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

11F,

I knew as soon as I wrote that, someone would ding me on it! You are correct in that it is possible to find an unmarked (on the outside) trigger that is genuine Miller. As you pointed out some were shaped and filed in such a way that there was no surface left to support a stamping. If the unit is removed from the gun however you should find patent date stamps and/or other Miller markings inside. There is also the story of the disagreement between Ithaca and Miller wherein some triggers were installed for Ithaca by Miller and were not stamped. If anyone ever has a question on whether their trigger is original Miller work I can usually tell quite easily by looking at the mechanism. Elmer and Howard's work was distinctive.

Best, Dan

11F Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan- Thanks, I am sure you can, indeed, tell as a skilled gunsmith which I am not let alone now owning the Miller name. I recently took a DHE Parker with a non-selective Miller (marked Miller!)to my friend (who is a skilled trigger 'smith himself- he once fixed a Boss single trigger for me, now that was something to see spread all over the bench...) and he noted it was "Some of Howard's most beautiful work". Millers are terrific triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,
I have a nicely restored 20's era NID that has a factory SST which I think may be a copy of the Miller design. It will occasionally double with heavy loads or randomly.

Is this a trigger you work on? Is there reliable fix?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, the restored gun you picture does not look like the same gun as the pictures below, sans stock. Can you clarify ?

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

Everyone involved in the Ithaca/Miller unpleasantness is either dead or probably doesn't care anymore, so....Ithaca (in my opinion) did steal Miller's base design. The Ithaca version was known as the "Howland" trigger (named after their designer Harry Howland). The only difference that I can find between the two is that the Howland trigger has a two-piece trigger body as opposed to the Miller's one-piece. There is absolutely no reason for this design difference as far as function goes and I feel it is superfluous and weakens the design. The Howland is still a great trigger though because it is essentially a Miller!

I can absolutely fix your doubling problem. Give me a call, email or just send her out.

11F,

I've done quite a few minor repairs and tweaks of both Elmer's and Howard's previous installations. They were indeed amazing craftsmen and gifted with mechanical genius. I wish I could have met them before they passed. I hope they are happy with our carrying on of their business, I'd like to think so.

Dan

Last edited by cgs; 12/23/11 04:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Dan, I am still alive and I care. (can't get the smile icon to go here) Won't argue the point though.
My New York State son has a Howland trigger that needs you. We will get the gun up to you in the new year.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 12/23/11 05:33 PM.
cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt,

Sounds good! The Ithaca/Miller feud is just another interesting anecdote from our beloved doublegun history. We're all one big happy family now!! I love Ithacas and I own Miller, I'm caught squarely in the middle! How do I get myself into these situations.....

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! That goes for everyone!!

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, try a lighter spring on the inertia block.
Bill

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.