June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (redoak), 308 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,488
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Mike Bailey #25568 02/13/07 08:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"The lever always works the same direction."

Not true. I've seen a couple English sidelocks with the lever reversed.

Also, there was a guy here a few weeks ago who had a Scott with a reversed lever.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The pictures of the (vy nice!) 1925 Holland DR show disk set strikers very well in the sixth photo from the top. Having this set up makes it much simpler to replace a damaged/broken firing pin.

I find it interesting on the southpaw 1925 rifle that, while it has the reversed triggers and left rolled guard, the only clue to its original orientation in the Holland spec sheet is the cast measurements - all cast-on. I would have thought they'd have noted "left hand" specifically. And the cheek piece has disappeared...

Steve Meyer #25584 02/13/07 10:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Articulated front trigger [allows trigger to fold forward] takes out most of the pinch your finger might receive when firing the rear trigger, as the front trigger can slam back into your finger during the heavy recoil.

Last edited by Randall; 02/13/07 03:18 PM.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 400 Nitro Express
Originally Posted By: BrentD
I think it's a right handed gun. You can see the cheek piece lifting off on the left side of the stock in this picture:

Actually no, it isn't there. I've seen numerous additional photos of this particular gun, and there is no cheek piece. It's an original left handed gun.

400 - I'll take your word for it, but it sure looks like something is going on over on the left-hand side.

One would think that if it was a lefty that would be mentioned up front and center. Odd.

I take that back - I copied it into a photo editor and played with it. There is some weird shadow and the background cloth is folded odd. May not be anything at all.

Beautiful gun.

Brent

Last edited by BrentD; 02/13/07 11:24 AM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BrentD, Prof #25609 02/13/07 01:02 PM

Mike:

Royal double rifles come standard with the Baker extended top tang. Except for the old Scott built stuff, I've never seen a Holland sidelock DR that didn't have it. Same for disc set strikers. I imagine that they currently come standard with the articulated trigger, although you don't need it. Hold the gun properly and your trigger finger won't get smacked when firing the left. In 20 years of DR shooting, I've never had that happen, and I've never owned one with an articulated trigger.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an 1880's Scott SLNE with a backwards lever. Triggers also appeared oriented for a lefty, although it was not cast that way (but stock may have been replaced), nor did it fire left barrel first. Pushing the lever to the L, rather than pulling it to the R, was not a hard thing to get used to.

SDH-MT #25614 02/13/07 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
The lever always works the same direction.

This isn't true. Doubles custom built for southpaws with left swinging top levers aren't all that unusual. A while back I handled a nice pair of Dumoulin DRs, .470 and .375, built for a left handed shooter. A good friend, who is a southpaw, wanted them, but couldn't get past the left-swinging top levers.

Quote:
Can't ever tell about cast from pix.

I wasn't relying on photos. The gun is stocked with cast-on.

Quote:
Semi-beavertail are just fine for double rifles, maybe prefered, it's the extra pressure from the hand-hold that has been a problem with - mostly - shotguns restocked from splinter to beavertail. Beavertail increases control which is a definately a good factor for a rifle. I'm quite sure Holland has grown beyond the consideration of loop strength with their doubles.

None of this is true. Steven, rumour has it that you're a pretty sharp shotgun guy, but you have a lot to learn about double rifles.

Mike Bailey #25620 02/13/07 01:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd have to say .400 Nitro that from some of the pictures and comments I've seen and heard, he ( SDH ) does some pretty fine rifle work as well. Anyway I have emailed Hollands ref your semi beavertail comments and am waiting to see what Patrick comes back with. I tested a .375 at their rifle range with a semi beaver and much preferred it to the .470 I also tried with a splinter. By the way neither guns had articulated triggers and I fired 4 rounds from the .470 and about 15 from the .375. The only time I did get stung was once when I left my thumb on the safety on the .375. rgds, Mike Bailey

Mike Bailey #25626 02/13/07 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
I'd have to say .400 Nitro that from some of the pictures and comments I've seen and heard, he ( SDH ) does some pretty fine rifle work as well.

Conventional rifles and double rifles are very distant relatives.

The lug issue with beavertails in shotguns is usually encountered in high volume shooting and seems to be a function of cycles. With heavy double rifles, the problem is raw recoil. Spend some time looking at double rifles in the repair shops. I've seen enough sheared lugs with beavertail fore-ends to not want such on one of mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with 400NE. When firing a double rifle the leading hand should encompass the forend and grasp the barrels. The trick is not to obscure the rib and sights. Its not like shooting off a standing or seated rest. However, a rest is useful for regulation. But even with the rest the regulator will grasp the barrels and rest his arm. The final elevation on the sights needs to be accomplished while standing and grasping the barrels. Its kinda like the difference between a sling and no sling on a bolt rifle.

Phil

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.