I call that screw, "The screw to nowhere" it has no function that I can figger out. I'm not certain whether the gold nibs are cocking indicators(currently not functioning) or if they are vents. I'll have to pull the the pins above and the striker disks and see what it is all about.

The lever is engraved and the gun was re-jointed by Kirk when it was sleeved. I have a single slide of the gun as I got it, if I ever find it I'll compare the lever position-- or not. I'm much more a big picture guy once I own something wink

Eventually, I'll get the screws redone and timed up, black the furniture and the barrels, and call it good for a while.

It's a crazy old gun from early on in the period of transition to hammerless guns. It's certainly understandable how it's significance could fly right over the head of someone like JoE whistle

It's also naughty (in a Victorian sort of way), if you remove the trigger plate, hold it vertical, and view the lock works straight on, it looks like a ....

Stanton made the lock in my SLE as well as this gun, an interesting tidbit from the standpoint of a vendor relationship lasting 20+ years. Methinks old Jos. Lang must've been decent guy.

Jim