June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,976
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, You are gonna love the way Elmer Keith fastened Gibbs sights to his double rifle to determine fast target acquistion on moving targets (thrown rocks). He obviously didn't shoot with them rigged the way he described his testing.
http://www.calpappas.com/id79.html

Gil

Last edited by GLS; 11/18/11 08:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
George, You are gonna love the way Elmer Keith fastened Gibbs sights to his double rifle to determine fast target acquistion on moving targets (thrown rocks). He obviously didn't shoot with them rigged the way he described his testing.
http://www.calpappas.com/id79.html

Gil

Keith was great. I liked the part where he blew a hole in the porch roof. If you read Shotguns By Keith, he did the same thing with one of his shotguns. IIRC it was his Ithaca Magnum 10. That poor porch! grin Thanks for sharing. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
That's Pitcatinny, as in the US arsenal there, in NW New Jersey

Thanks Dave, I knew what it was, just no idea how to spell it. I decided on a Marbles rib mounted peep-site...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo.,

I will try to take some pictures, when I get a chance, of a wrist mounted Swiss style peep sight I mounted on a roundball rifle years ago. I didn't want to just screw the thing to the wrist, so I inletted a plate into the wrist, with tapped holes to accept the mounting screws for the sight base. I inletted it deeply enough so that I could remove the sight, and put in it's place a polished brass shield. Looks much like a shield one would have initials engraved on, just that it's on the wrist and not under the stock belly.

The inletted base provides a very secure mounting platform for the sight, and the shield looks nice with the sight off in order to use the barrel mounted open sights.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/18/11 09:17 PM. Reason: correction

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just an update to this thread. I took my new Mosin Nagant (M/N) out to the range and discovered that my eyesight had really deteriorated over the last 50 years. After some research and a visit to Cabela’s where I found an M/N fitted with a “scout” scope I decided to emulate what they’d done. A good and a bad idea, bad because they’d completely removed the rear sight, I ended up removing mine in pieces learning along the way that the sight had been pinned, set-screwed and soldered into place, a good idea because it was exactly what I wanted. I went ahead and purchased the same sight I’d found on the gun in Cabela’s, an NcStar 2.5X30E scope with mounting rings. The only trouble was the ring clamps were set far too wide for the 0.5” required for the dovetail slots left behind from the original sights. The only mounts I found that fit were for an air-rifle, but other than a cheap stamped steel locking piece, they fit perfectly. I figured for $6.99 I’d give them a try, after 6 shots the scope nearly fell off the gun, back to the drawing board. I then compared the mounts that came with the scope too the air-rifle mounts and realized that I could switch out stamped steel locking pieces with the heavy duty locking pieces from the original mount. Two different manufactures, yet the pieces were interchangeable, who’d have thunk it! I did have to replace the knurled locking bolts with longer allen bolts but that was no problem.

Here’s a picture of the finished scope mount setup that held tight today after 14 rounds.

About the target photo. Bingo marks where I finally got the rifle sighted in at 50 yards, the shots numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4 were taken after I sighted it in. There are a few shots on the paper taken at 100 yards but I’m not certain which ones (I’m new at this, next time I’ll bring a marker with me).

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is hard to stop progress.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scope eye relief is the main problem with my LOP. Also here in Canada we have to wear heavy clothing in the November hunting season.
So I cut my favourite deer rifle stock to 13 1/4" including rubber recoil pad so as to be able to use a Leupold 2-7x33 compact scope, while wearing a heavy jacket. Not much eye relief in those little scopes and I could not use it until I cut 3/4" off the stock.
My 2c,
Mike

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.