June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken57, 12boreman, Marks_21, irs, 2 invisible), 465 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,716
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Buzz #250440 11/02/11 04:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Taken by a friend over in Sun City through the patio door

Last edited by Drew Hause; 11/02/11 04:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jose Fernandez
Hello gentlemen:

I do not know if Chuck refers to me. I am not a new member of this forum, because I signed in 2002!, but I live in Mexico an posted some photos of "exotic quail" (I loved to hunt quail)
Mearns (Moctezuma) quail season opens until december here in central Mexico. I will go hunting mearns quail the first days of that month, so I will keep posted about the results.

I was out in the field training dogs and what I saw is a better than average quail population this year, but the zone I frecuent is for banded and red breasted bobwhite quail.

We will see...

Best,

Yes, Jose. I had forgotten who had posted those pictures. Sorry I didn't realize you were a long standing member.
Best regards
Chuck

Buzz #250451 11/02/11 05:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Especially posted for jOe the master quail hunter and K.I.A.---

Quote Jack O'Conner, Arizona native and Sports writer.....this information copyright 1949 and 1970....

"I have shot bobwhites in Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia, New Jersey, Illinois and Idaho. "

"The classic quail of the Untited States is the bobwhite, one of the most beloved of all game birds. He lies beautifully to a dog. He is a strong flier and is good to eat. He is a great bird and I love him dearly, but I do not think he is as smart a bird as the valley and the Gambel's quail. Nor do I think he flies as fast or is as hard to hit."

"The Western quail tend to be quite a different proposition from bobwhites."

"Almost all of my Gambel's quail hunting was done without a dog, as FEW DOGS can stand the thorns and the thirst of typical Gambel's quail country." .........

"The Gambel's quail hunter who has only walked ten miles or so can hardly be said to have worked up a sweat. Many times I have covered fifteen miles in one day's hunting and not a few times I have gone twenty."

"As good a gun as I have ever had for Gambel's quail was a 20 -gauge L.C. Smith Field Grade double bored modified and full."

"I may be wrong, but I don't think California valley quail are as tough or hard to kill as Gambel's."

"On those long walks after desert quail, a light gun and light ammunition are twice blessed. You can make mine either a 16 or a 20, just so long as you make it light."

Jack O'Conner......

Best,

Doug

Buzz #250466 11/02/11 07:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing that Jack didn't note is the Gambel's Quail propensity to run rather than flush. When they do flush it's usually much farther out than Bobwhites. The are much harder to hunt IMO than Bobwhites as I used to hunt them when I lived in the Midwest.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Buzz #250468 11/02/11 07:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

And lots of Blues on Las Cienegas

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
One thing that Jack didn't note is the Gambel's Quail propensity to run rather than flush. When they do flush it's usually much farther out than Bobwhites. The are much harder to hunt IMO than Bobwhites as I used to hunt them when I lived in the Midwest.
Jim

Jim:

Jack O'Conner noted that fact many times Jim.... Quote: "They are found in country with much less ground cover, often overgrazed cattle country that wouldn't conceal a healthy flea. Then all a quail with any instinct for survival can do is to run. If he didn't run or flush wild, he'd be half-witted. The Gambel's quail is denounced as a bad actor who won't lie for a dog"..... "Give him something to hide in and he'll do a pretty good job of staying put."

Jack O'Conner....

Best,

Doug

Buzz #250496 11/02/11 10:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My few yrs of hunting Gambels vs. many yrs of Calif (Valley) quail is that the difference is small if any, in behavior, size, speed. It seems that only region separates them as terrain can be identical in the eastern range of the California quail and western range of the Gambels.

I will say that Mr. O'Connor would probably have had to walk a fraction of those distances if he'd had good dogs with boots. The dogs can handle the terrain, but you have to watch them for overheating if it's still warm out.

One place I will not hunt my dogs on Gambels is in the Eastern Mojave in a particular area covered in Cholla (pn "Choy' ya) Cactus. The 2" tines will penetrate the sides of most good hunting boots for hunters and they are brutal on dogs. The small clusters of tines on the ground cripple dogs thru their boots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

I will say that Mr. O'Connor would probably have had to walk a fraction of those distances if he'd had good dogs with boots. The dogs can handle the terrain, but you have to watch them for overheating if it's still warm out.

One place I will not hunt my dogs on Gambels is in the Eastern Mojave in a particular area covered in Cholla (pn "Choy' ya) Cactus. The 2" tines will penetrate the sides of most good hunting boots for hunters and they are brutal on dogs. The small clusters of tines on the ground cripple dogs thru their boots.

Originally Posted By: PA24
"Almost all of my Gambel's quail hunting was done without a dog, as FEW DOGS can stand the thorns and the thirst of typical Gambel's quail country."......Jack O'Conner

Chuck-

After 55 years plus hunting in the desert, I agree with Mr. O'Conner.......We almost always limit out on birds, understand their habits, how to hunt them...enjoy the walking, enjoy the desert, enjoy the other wildlife that dogs run off etc.......so find no need for our canine friends........

The area's we hunt traditionally are covered up with Cholla-a.k.a. Mexican Jumping Cactus, Mesquite, Barrel, Prickley Pear and many other cacti species......

Best,

Doug

Buzz #250529 11/03/11 08:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, great photo of a scalie. They run like miniature pheasants. But they'll also hold quite well in good cover. The great thing about Mearns', for guys who enjoy dog work, is that they are even tighter-sitting than bobs. A real shame numbers are down so badly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I figured Ol'Jack probably just shot their heads off with his 7x57.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.