May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (375whelenIMP, SKB, Kip, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 279 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,553
Posts546,250
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J.D.Steele #249561 10/27/11 06:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Steve. Your book was a lot inspiration for it. But I did chicken out with the cartridge trap under the patch box. I love that! And it would super functional when the rifle is in the woods after fox squirrels as it was just last night and I was fumbling for a second shell after missing and had to duck as the squirrel tried to land on me and then it took off and I still didn't have that second shell out of the box and so and so forth.

If I could find a decently finished patch box, I might do it yet.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BrentD, Prof #249562 10/27/11 06:57 PM
MJT Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

It is a Beauty!!!

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Well, live everything on that rifle, a couple of people made that palm rest for me. A wood turner made the wood out of a very heavy hunk of Sonoran Desert Ironwood. Another friend made the metal insert that is very similar to the one in your advertisement.

Once upon a time, I counted up the number of people that had a hand in this rifle and it was well into the double figures - and it's not even engraved. Our own JD Steele was the source of the action and some work on it and some advice as well. And the omnipresent Glenn Fewless and another buddy teamed up for the super-speed hammer made of unobtainium. And there were many other people involved around the country. It has a crescent buttplate to replace the small swiss with the situation calls for it and several different sighting mechanisms. The only parts I did were all the metal polishing and the barrel bluing and the wood finishing. It is, by far, my favorite rifle.

J.D.Steele #249644 10/28/11 12:05 PM
KVN Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

PM sent

BrentD, Prof #249659 10/28/11 01:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Why did you go with side extraction given a 12 o'clock ignition?

I'm not sure what the jury has said, if anything about top ignition, but it does interest me.

I too have the unobtainium hammer (short fall - ~1/8") and it is double sprung.

The theory behind the negative headspace is to put pressure on the rim's perimeter to supposedly ensure more even ignition of the priming compound. The single-side extraction is an outgrowth of that, to ensure that more of the rim's perimeter is put under pressure.

The top-ignition feature is merely a copy of the proven Martini Cadet design, shown to be almost uncannily accurate in the splendid little BSA rifles.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
J.D.Steele #249691 10/28/11 05:34 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OT again but still on the subject of backbores, Whitey PMed me asking about the minimum boreout ID for a 22LR backbore reline like Brent's. Thought the rest of you might be interested in my response.

"Whitey, my first reline job was a 30" octagon 32-40 high wall to 223 Rem. I bored the 32-cal bbl out from the breech end to a length/depth of 25", then Loctited my 24" 223 liner in place, leaving the last 5" of the original shot-out 32-cal bore in the 30" bbl.

That bbl shot very well, with the .224" bullets passing down the remaining 5" of 32-cal bore with no apparent ill effects.

I later cut that bbl to 24", not because of any accuracy issues but simply because it was too long & heavy for field use as-was. Now I wish I had left it 30", it would be an interesting demonstration piece.
Best, Joe"

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
J.D.Steele #249695 10/28/11 05:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

While there may be a very small minimum for the backbore section, you might consider the effect of a cutting down a larger barrel to such a small OD for insertion in smaller hole. Maybe it doesn't really matter, but I know I was not wanting to turn a Lilja barrel down to a really small diameter and then worry about accuracy effects.

_________

BrentD, Prof #249707 10/28/11 07:28 PM
MJT Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

BrentD and Joe I wish to thank you for freely sharing your learning and ideas on the back bored barrels, has given me many projects that I thought would be years in the making come to faster finish (maybe), converting the unused barrels to short liners is one of those (Why didn't I think of that!!! Followed by a slap to my forehead) ideas. wink

I have a Stevens 044 1/2 action that I paid WAY TOOOO much for, I have decided on the caliber for it to be 22 Maynard/5.75 Velo Dog and was looking to turn it into a light weight Squirrel/carry rifle. After seeing your rifle Brent and going though Steve's rifles in Black and White again, may have rethink the plain Jane hunting rifle route...

Take care and Have a Great Weekend/Halloween,
Mike

J.D.Steele #249718 10/28/11 08:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, have fun with your Stevens. But do take a good look at the lowwall in Steve's book that has the capbox cartridge trap. That is the ultimate. I also wish I had used a cross-key to hold the forearm to the barrel.

But then I do have another action.... smile

_________

MJT #249719 10/28/11 09:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MJT
I have a Stevens 044 1/2 action that I paid WAY TOOOO much for, I have decided on the caliber for it to be 22 Maynard/5.75 Velo Dog and was looking to turn it into a light weight Squirrel/carry rifle. After seeing your rifle Brent and going though Steve's rifles in Black and White again, may have rethink the plain Jane hunting rifle route...

Mike, it takes just exactly as much work to do a highly-figured stock as to do a plain one, and any extra effort expended upon the metalwork will be WELL repaid by your future enjoyment! More inspiration, perhaps:

In addition, FirstShirt has a very nice Stevens 44 custom small game rifle that looks simply SUPER, maybe he'll chime in here...

BTW thanks for the good words! Like others here, my primary purpose is to pay forward some of the many favors done for me in the past by other smiths before me who were generous enough to share their hard-won knowledge. That, IMO, is one mark of a master craftsman, since a true craftsman knows that the secret of 'best' work is in the mind of the workman and not just in his knowledge.
Regards, Joe

Last edited by J.D.Steele; 10/28/11 09:20 PM.

J.D.Steele #249731 10/28/11 10:28 PM
MJT Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Joe I understand your sentiments completely, I've been a machinist since 1965, I was lucky enough to be a Machine shop Instructor for nine of those years, giving back to those students was the best part of my working life.

I was in the pole barn this afternoon digging through my walnut blanks stash box and may have some nicely grained wood to send to CPA to be machined to fit the 044 1/2, still want a 24 or 26" #1 full octagon barrel in Maynard 22 XL on the action, but the rest is now open to other possibilities after looking at those wonderful rifles.
Thanks again Joe, Mike

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
Originally Posted By: MJT

Mike, it takes just exactly as much work to do a highly-figured stock as to do a plain one, and any extra effort expended upon the metalwork will be WELL repaid by your future enjoyment! More inspiration, perhaps:

In addition, FirstShirt has a very nice Stevens 44 custom small game rifle that looks simply SUPER, maybe he'll chime in here...

BTW thanks for the good words! Like others here, my primary purpose is to pay forward some of the many favors done for me in the past by other smiths before me who were generous enough to share their hard-won knowledge. That, IMO, is one mark of a master craftsman, since a true craftsman knows that the secret of 'best' work is in the mind of the workman and not just in his knowledge.
Regards, Joe

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.