I'm all for getting up a subscription to buy Jimmy an underlever closer. If he keeps the wedge or "screw" well-greased, it won't suffer from all that manual shifting.

The analogy with locksets is a good one but I think the lock most comparable is found on interior and exterior doors. The "ramped" nose on the bolt which allows retracton when it contacts the inital radius of the strike plate is not the surface of the bolt which locks the door against the weather strip or stop. Wear on the ramp (or the upper chisel edge of an underbolt) doesn't really matter all that much as it's the underside of the bolt which locks the barrels down to the water table. The only locking mechanism which superficially resembles Jimmy's retard and sneak is the lever check found on a variety of guns with rotary and cross bolts which cannot be wedged or ramped back by a lead on their mating surface in the rib extension. Also found on Supers and Citoris and I have never understood exactly why? In all cases, self-release of the check rod, pin, or lever allows every one of these bolting designs to snap.

jack