June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, Der Ami, SKB), 380 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,591
Posts546,778
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Heck Lowell, If someone showed up at one o' them fancy English bird shoots with a lowley American double, even it it were "move[d] up a grade or two" they wouldn't be allowed to shoot, would they? I mean, one has to have one's standards. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To be! is a great thing, and to think about it is even better a thing.
Those who don't - are flatlinners.
Both is good - thanks!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes Jake there is a cut-off, those of the middlin' second tier guns would be turned away at the gates.
...and this is to say nothing about the third tier shooters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LG, from the comments above, I conclude that we can't all see the elephant from the same perspective and our seat-of-the-pants generalizations are probably suspect-mine as well as yours. From the limited vantage point of personal experience: ITEM: When my brother-in-law died in 1996, we discovered more than a dozen blanket-wrapped bundles in his machinery shed. All single shot break-open shotguns, all 12 gauge, no doubleguns. He was certainly attendant at many local farm auctions in north-central Indiana, so the old things were still around into the last three decades of the 20th C. ITEM: My grandfather, nominally a small Ohio farmer, who made more ready cash money breaking horses than he ever did farming and had a fairly pretentious shingle style "farmhouse" built in 1924, had one shotgun in the pantry on the landing of the cellar stairs--a rustyloose 12 gauge single. ITEM: My dad, despite a latter-day preference for High Standard, hunted squirrel most of his adult life with a Wards "Western Field"-relabelled Ivor Johnson Champion. Certainly post-depression and in 20 gauge but about as much of a meat gun as he needed and no more. ITEM: Millers in New Castle DE, has a barrel altho it is now red injection-molded plastic rather than staves and hoops. Along with the polychoked bolt guns, there are always a few clapped-out break-open 12s; the majority are "modern" H&R Toppers but among them are always some older looser, browner tomato stakes. Obviously they are not up on the consignment rack with the BT-99s.

As for the VFW, Nur Temple, local collector assoc. shows, I don't see break-open singles in any great quantity; understandable given the collector bias toward something which has at least minimal cachet and condition. Just because the gun behind the kitchen door is now an autoloader, pump or even something more suitable for "socializing" doesn't convince me that these old residenters weren't sold by the millions or that many aren't hanging around. I would think production and sales nos. would be available for American-built single-shots and even Belgian iron before them. Might be revealing.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

How's your turnip patch Lowell ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,

You need to get a pre-war plain or solid rib field grade Model 42 into your hands. Watch it flatline a few targets. And when you run a coupla straights with it you'll notice the grass becomes more green, and the sky looks bluer.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

.410's do bring back childhood memories.

What Lowell needs is to wrap his hands around a 10 or 8ga. stuffed with blackpower and dark'n the sky at some ducks or geese and smell what it feels like to be a man.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KyBrad3 - The 12 - 2" is more like our 20 - 2 3/4" as it is typically loaded with 7/8 to 1 oz of shot. It was just a compact hull that gave up all cushionig but bare minimum and took advantage of the lower volume of nitro powder.

To paraphrase Lady Somebody on the Brit aristocracy, "Like Mayflies, from a distance we appeared to float lightly through the air, while up close we were all beating our wings furiously ---." For people who wish to be seen living rich, there is never enough money. When children learn to spend and not to earn, you may be sure the family will disperse any fortune accumulated quickly. The name of the tune the Pied Piper of Hamln played was probably, "Ain't Gonna Work no More!" Families who tie their fortunes up in a trust usually wind up with a bunch of bitter people living on an inadequate allowance and hating Dad/Grandad for not leaving more. Somehow, the concept of earning seems to get factored out.

Spent the afternoon in London. After a very nice session at William Evans discussing guns and other cosmic things, I took a window shopping strole to refresh my memory on just how easy it is to spend large green on baubbles and services. IMO, guns were one of the least of your basic aristocratic family's worries.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just who took receipt of the field grade doubles?
The crops were harvested, chores done and early winter has set in - it was these bib-over-all'd gents who had the time, place and money for the field grade guns.
Now these are bottom line guns, so who.
Did the entry level doubles go to the northeast's overcrowded tenement house dwellers?
They neither had the time, nor place to hunt.
Rabbit, just who shot the field grades that were made by the thousands...doctors, lawyers and politicians?
...who then had the deluxe grades, if not these.
j0ey, perhaps you could write for Cosmo!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

h0melessj0ey, let me be your literary agent!
Your first romantic chickie novel, " Smell what it feels like to be a man."

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.