May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Southern Sport, eeb, Borderbill, docbill), 333 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,361
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Superposed Superlight in 20 gauge. Well below 6lbs, quick handling and a classic. For whatever reason, perhaps it's unique stock dimensions, what seems like almost no recoil. How much do you like her?

Sidelock
Sidelock

keep in mind that the lighter the gun the more it will kick. anything less than six pounds might hurt?

Last edited by ed good; 08/13/11 06:19 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

For a bargin priced gun, that is decent, check out a Yildiz Youth model at an Academy store.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

clayws Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen...lots of great suggestions, thanks so much!
btdst - Would your wife be willing to part with the Micro Citori?
Dave in Maine...yes, I already saw the 20 Ga Flues. She's never shot a sxs, but it might be worth a try. I also saw the pair of guns you mention that Kirby H. has for sale. The Sauer looks great except for the excessive drop (3" at 13 LOP!)
As for double triggers...my concern is that might be a problem for her small hands.
She is not at all recoil sensitive, by the way. She's a dog musher from Alaska.
Ian - those Rizzinis look nice. I didn't see prices on them.

Thanks again!

clayws Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mc - Yes, I've thought of reshaping the stock. Also drilling out some wood in the butt stock. Not sure how that would affect the balance (such as it is.)
Bob - in answer to your question...pretty well.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

My wife shoots a 20 gauge Browing Citori and we have removed the ejector springs so the empties do not hit her in the face.
The stock is cut to her length and tis a bit heavier than you want but is well balanced

I like this one also

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245954948

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/13/11 07:57 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Belgian Superposed Superlights are great.....but really big $$$$, especially in 20 bores. My wife quit using the Citori and now shoots a Superposed Superlight but in 12 bore.....6 lbs 9 oz. She's not recoil shy either. I always use a 12 and she said it was silly for us to carry two different sized shells while hunting...go figure. It does make it easier to mooch shells from one another, however!

claysws--I might since we no longer use it. Just sits in its original box.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also recommend keeping the weight reasonable - too light and recoil becomes an issue.

My wife is 5'7" and about 135#. Her two shotguns are a 20 gauge Beretta 303 semi-auto at 6#10oz and a 20 gauge Beretta 471 SxS at 6#8oz. When she first got the 303 she complained a little about how "heavy" it was but after lessons with an instructor on how to properly handle it she has not made any issue about their weight. Because they are not unduly light recoil is a non-issue for her with either gun and our 3/4oz target loads, 7/8oz target/quail loads or 1oz pheasant loads.

The 303 has a 26" barrel and the 471 has 28" barrels. I believe that properly fitted is more important than weight and both guns have been fitted to her. She seems happy to shoot them, well, at least this looks like a smile on her face when she shot the very first bird of her life and of 11 that day. This first hunt of her life was this past February and tomorrow she's sending the deposit to Rio Piedra for a hunt this fall.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look either for a clean S56 type/series Beretta or a Miroku made Charles Daly; both 'field' & 'superior' grades [ejector guns] in 20ga. were made within the weight parameters you seem to seek. Either will make a fine field gun for your companion. Neither should require a recoil pad, if they fit her. Pads add unnecessary weight.

I much agree w/comment about a qualified instructor checking fit & some lessons .. best money that you will spend to assist her deriving even more enjoyment from time afield. Nothing succeeds like success.

FWIW, Orvis teaches the 'Churchillian' method of field shooting and can do a good job w/fit. Can recommend 'Robert Churchill's Game Shooting' or 'The Orvis Guide to Gunfitting' by Deck for more insight on said subjects.

Just some thots. Best.

clayws Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been looking at 'Micro Citoris' on line, and am really baffled at their weight. They are listed at 7 lbs. 12 oz. in 20 Ga with a 24" barrel! This is the Micro 20 gauge 'Youth' model? I'm confused...what gives? This makes my friend's Turkoslavian gun look like a featherweight.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.