May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lloyd3, AGS, SKB, 1 invisible), 285 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,569
Posts546,427
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the topic of welding...I dont know but just wonder...would the heat not change the properties/strength of the metal? The broken spring must be annealed, welded, and rehardened. If that process is followed, then the metal properties of the rehardened spring are as they were originally. I would go along with the weld like someone mentioned, to get by till I could get a new one made, options for a new spring have been mentioned here...why would someone not choose to get a new one? The weld can be quick, cheap, and sure. I would agree with getting a replacement to carry around for peace of mind if you don't have a back-up gun. [/quote]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: deja vu
Hey jOe, you said...
Quote:
eYe put the last guys in the nut hOuse.
I think this one got out of the nut house.

When they catch him maybe they'll take his computer privileges away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be PM'ing the guy that offered to make you a spring.

I would also be buying him a gift subscription to the double gun journal, or other shooting magazine of his liking.

Offers like that don't come up too often!!

Pietro

ohiosam Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have taken Ballistix up on his generous offer.

I didn't think my simple question would incite so much "passion" grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was expecting someone to tell you to use Liquid Weld any minute crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi,

Started on this today from spring steel stock. First, measure with a bit of extra..cut...bend...and then the process of taking down and creating the pin on the end...it's very thick and rough still at the moment.

Will finish it Monday/Tuesday.

I'm using this as another new chapter for my book. smile So a good excuse to do one...

For the sheer discussion point...I'm going to TIG weld the old one...if I can...and send that back too...

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Hi,

Started on this today from spring steel stock. First, measure with a bit of extra..cut...bend...and then the process of taking down and creating the pin on the end...it's very thick and rough still at the moment.

Good job Tony............."Blacksmith 101"........

Cheers,

Doug

ohiosam Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's cool, gettin' to watch the work in progress! grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tony,
Its cool you offered to make this...sweet!
Knowing zero about spring making I'd like to ask why you bend a straight piece of steel instead of kinda marking it out & cutting the gap out between the arms?..Is it a steel "Grain" deal for strength,....& therefore better,er ,well Spring smile
just curious....this looks like fun to do....
Good man T
roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Roger
Not sure what you mean old boy. This is always the way I've made them from spring steel. Maybe CJO can comment on how he does it?

This way allows me to really shape the metal. Getting to the inside surfaces always a mild challenge. Anyway must dash mum and people over for her 80th

Chin chin
TT

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.