June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (GETTEMANS, Gr8day, azgreg, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 272 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,578
Posts546,597
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I wear digital hearing aids anyway, so when shooting clay birds I just turn them off and use muffs also. When huntinding waterfowl I just turn them off when they start flying, probably not the best system, but it is what I use now.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wear hearing protection, plugs, when hunting doves and snipe, but not when hunting turkeys and woodcock. Audiologists state that there is potential for irreversible hearing loss with continuous exposure to 80-90 decibels (dB) of noise. A 12 gauge shotgun blast is between 130-155 dBs. Some ears suffer permanent damage from one exposure to shotgun blast noise. The best hearing protectors advertise no more than 32 dB of noise reduction, but actual reduction to the ear canal may not be that high. Double protection, plugs and muffs are not purely additive because of the flesh-bone conduction. Bone and tissue conduct some of the noise to the ear canal despite protection. After protection, we are still left with about 100 dB or more noise. Have any of you with years of shooting competitively while wearing the best hearing protection you could buy, experienced hearing loss in your ear that faces the muzzle end of your shotgun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Have any of you with years of shooting competitively while wearing the best hearing protection you could buy, experienced hearing loss in your ear that faces the muzzle end of your shotgun?

My audiologist told me that right-handed shooters typically lose hearing in their left ear (that is my case), and lefties lose it in their right ear. You will normally lose higher frequency (3khz+) hearing as you age, and shooting just accelerates the process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Starkey was the company I had the digitals from and they certainly stood behind their product by giving me a refund.

Popplecop:
I thought most hearing aids had built in hearing protection that closed down when there was a loud noise?

Last edited by Chicago; 07/30/11 04:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I thought most hearing aids had built in hearing protection that closed down when there was a loud noise?

I have never seen that in a regular hearing aid, but I never wear mine, either. Gives me plausible deniability.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

I have never seen that in a regular hearing aid, but I never wear mine, either. Gives me plausible deniability.

Pretty sure that is what the audiologist told me when I was researching digital hearing protection but maybe you have to ask for it - not sure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.