Chuck;
I fully understand what you are saying & have no argument with it at all. My Concession is muzzle loading, which I fully enjoy the "Frustration" of having to ram each load home & even on my riflr being limited to only one shot.
On the other hand when I do hunt with by double bbl'd breech loading 12ga I consider myself neither unethical nor unsporting & strongly detest any inference that I might be otherwise simply because on that occasion I chose to shoot a 12.
I have had some limited esperience with a .410 & within their range limitations I never personally found them any harder to hit with than any other shotgun, so actually the "Increased Difficuly" simply fails to impress me. If one compares a full choiked .410 with a cyl bored 12 then obviously the 12 will be the easier, but that is more a matter of choke than gauge.
When I need lighter charges I simply load down my larger gauges, doesn't make hitting any more difficult but does help the ol molars as I eat what I kill.
No problem at all with anyone else shooting a .410 or archery, neither just happens to be my cup-a-tea but I feel no lesser a person because they aren't.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra