June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Southern Sport, Hugh Lomas, dukxdog, 1 invisible), 357 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,596
Posts546,852
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another one to look for is Sport in Egypt by James Wentworth Day. It does contain some useful English-Arabic phrases such as:

Shut up, you son of sixty donkeys. - iskut ya ibn sitteen homar.

Did the pellets get you in the leg? - El rush gey fi riglak?

I am an English Officer - ana zabet ingleezi.

He had been eating beetles. - huwa kan biyakul khunfis.

All very useful bits to know. Lagopus..... p.s. an Arabic speaking friend did confirm the correctness of the above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stuff Mal!!!
He loved that John Dickson, quoting him as saying;

"...and Dickson of Edinburgh - a two grooved, the most perfect and useful rifle I ever had the pleasure of using"

Sidelock
Sidelock

After the Dickson blew up, it took him 32 shots using the Moore and Purdey 16 bores alternatly to kill an elephant. Things got better when he traded some ivory for the Westley 10 bore and proceeded to harvest many elephant thereafter. Some with huge ivory. It seems the Purdey was only used as a stand-in; probably why it survived at all. It was regulated for round ball and only 1-1/2 drams powder. With the rifle is a long handled mold for a short conical bullet along with the ball mold.
Best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

A pretty good book you may consider is "Game Trails from Alaska to Africa" by R. M. Carpenter. I also 2nd or 3rd the opinion of "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter! Very good book.

Jack K

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't leave out "African Twilight" by Robert Jones!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve white
Don't leave out "African Twilight" by Robert Jones!

Or "Diamond Bogo" (for a really different safari) by the same author...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mal,
What page are you on?? I can't find that in my version of his book. I think I have the edited version of his book and need the version you have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the 1st American edition Harper Bros. 1851 2 vols.

He relates this exploit on pages 20 through 23 of vol 2.

I misquoted as I was working from memory, sorry. It took 24 shots!

Still a bit tough on the elephant! This must have taken at least a half hour just to load and fire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mal, I found it, chapter 17, page 189 in my volume. I don't know, firing shots from 15 to 35 paces away, sounds like more than a fair fight to me. The Dickson blew up because he didn't take care of it. He even admits that the rifle was extremely dirty and extremely hard to load when he fired it for the last time. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franc - Great stuff! I went through a BIG African phase a few years ago which resulted in me spending a lot of cash with limited edition books from Safari Press.

I own (and have read) some of the books others have recommended. But two not mentioned are real standouts for me. 'Baron in Africa' by Brian Marsh is a fantastic read. Another good one is 'Kambaku' by Harry Manners.

As an aside, it looks like I might be entering another dark continent phase. Among the books I just ordered through Safari Press' summer sale are 'The Wheel of Life' by Bunny Allen and 'The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter' by W.D.M. Bell.

After WWII my father worked building roads and bridges in Liberia for a bit over a year. Unfortunately he wasn't a hunter, but he brought back many things, some of which grace the shelves of my library's African section: 2 small carved ivory elephants, carved ebony figurines, a powderhorn with various leathers and leopard skin encasing it and tribal carved "jewlery" among them.

You'e made me want to skip going to bed now and immerse myself in all this "Aficana"! It is powerful stuff!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.