June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Themauserkid, Karl Graebner, UncleKP, Ted Schefelbein), 425 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,487
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Exactly my point, Larry. If guys can run multi-thousand wooden blocks with a .22 (I recall a run of 17K-19K or something like that), I'd think we would see the same type of runs with a 12 gauge shotgun on clay targets.

I'd disagree, Don . . . assuming Dr. Jones is correct about the % of single pellet hits, seeing that we know many of them do not result in broken targets. A "single pellet" hit with a .22, on the other hand, ALWAYS scores as a break.

We seem to agree, Larry, except we don't actually know what % of single pellet hits do result in a break. That is the focus of my next test.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You have a good plan, Stan!! grin

But, you may still benefit from one pellet breaks. I'm currently shooting skeet with 7/8 oz #9 at 1125 fps in Mod/Mod from a Holloway and Naughton BLE with good (for me) results. However, I do get a few breaks that are obviously one pellet (I don't claim any unusually good aiming accuracy). Tighter choke will result in higher pellet count hits if aiming accuracy is tighter. Increased pellet count will do the same with no increase in aiming accuracy required.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Oldfarmer
I am not too sure your theory on shooting clay targets with a .22 will result in 100% breaks holds water. OK - edge on perhaps - but i used to organised competitions at 25m with clay targets hung face forward on wire brackets and a large proportion of the time we just punched hole through them from memory perhaps 15 - 25% of the targets. We ended up with spotters with scopes to record hits. Using battue clays was better as they are more fragile - but still not 100% reliable.
JOhn

I spoke of shooting hand thrown wooden blocks (per the turn of the century rage) with a .22. Not a big question over hits and misses. You need to read Dr. J's work on breaking targets; he has worked out probabilities of a break for various zones of the clay and various impact energies. Yes, the rim, with enough energy, is a higher % than the dome.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
I always find discussions of this sort immensely tedious. And I have enjoyed engaging Rocketman a number of times in regard to the silliness of his inertia machine - and more importantly the entire basis of its operation, the assumptions that drive it. Ho ho! Wank!! I still have your personal inertia that was stolen by my machine whilst in Vegas. Mess with me and we will see how you shoot from the pretzel configuration.
So, anyway, here is the single pellet BS once again. And again the basic assumptions are unsubstantiable and questionable at best for a single (pellet of) reason. And there is no, absolutely NO standardized real world situation that we all shoot in, to which any acquired data, questionable as it would be in each and every way, could be applied in any remotely meaningful way. Pardone', but I must disagree!

"For me, very simply, because I want to know."

So, Rocketman, just what is it that you will know? I will know if Dr. Jones' pattern probabilities are realistic. If it can be shown to work like the real world, we can run a lot of simulated patterns and predict cross-over points for choke, pellet size, pellet count, and MV. The hard data to do this would be very burdensome.

The obvious solution to the quandary of rationalizing target losses is easy. Use Brister's (I think it was) idea of full choke - fills a 30" circle at the distance the target is usually taken - See Stan above unless you are interested in shotgun technology.

and learn how to shoot

how all y'all doing these days? Mostly finer 'n frog haar; although I can claim only moderate success at being retired. How'z about youse? I sure miss Bill!!

Dr.WtS

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found that retirement is the easiest thing to succeed at that I have tried hahaha.

I sure miss Bill too. Think of the guy every day at least. Sure wish now I could have recorded those hundreds of hrs we spent talking, well mostly me listening hahaha- Bill was a good talker, and save those untold emails that seemed so transient at the time.

Oh, as far as useful and applicable shotgun technology goes, Churchill/Yardley/Brister pretty much cover everything. Past that you're wasting time you could use to learn how to shoot.

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonko,
Please do NOT mention Yardley in the same context as Churchill or Brister.
Unless of course you are talking about cosmetics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Tighter choke will result in higher pellet count hits if aiming accuracy is tighter. Increased pellet count will do the same with no increase in aiming accuracy required.

Better "accuracy" (I really don't like the use of that word when describing shotgunning) is exactly what occurs, over time, when you move to tighter chokes. It is a phenomenon that I can't quite explain. Part of it is that, subconsciously, you know you have be more "right" with your line and lead, just more precise. But, part of it has more to do with something less quantifiable, a freedom from concern with whether or not you have enough choke in the barrel, or if you left your box of chokes at the last station, etc. You watch the bird closer, and the right things just happen more often.

Increased pellet count is exactly why I use 1 1/8 oz. loads in competition.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not too sure your theory on shooting clay targets with a .22 will result in 100% breaks holds water. OK - edge on perhaps - but i used to organised competitions at 25m with clay targets hung face forward on wire brackets and a large proportion of the time we just punched hole through them from memory perhaps 15 - 25% of the targets. We ended up with spotters with scopes to record hits. Using battue clays was better as they are more fragile - but still not 100% reliable.
JOhn

John, in the case of the .22, we're talking wood blocks, not clays. And it's not really a "break", although I used that terminology. Just a hit. And that's pretty easy to tell. If there's any doubt, I expect someone could pick up the block in question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Today at the ground I put on a going away orange target - trap just to the right and slightly in front of the cage, throwing a slightly quartering bird towards the left. We fire around 200 targets. I picked up 40 unbroken, 7 had one strike hits, two had 2 strike hits and one had three strikes. A few would have broken when they hit the ground, probably a higher proportion of the struck targets than the undamaged ones, but it was not designed as a scientific experiment.
I guess one could draw conclusions from this small sample.
1. All 4 pellet strikes broke the clays.
2. Almost all the 3 strike broke the clays.
3. Around 1/6th (17%) of the unbroken targets were hit by 1 pellet and did not break.
John

Last edited by Oldfarmer; 03/16/11 02:28 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today at the ground I put on a going away orange target - trap just to the right and slightly in front of the cage, throwing a slightly quartering bird towards the left. We fire around 200 targets. I picked up 40 unbroken, 7 had one strike hits, two had 2 strike hits and one had three strikes. A few would have broken when they hit the ground, probably a higher proportion of the struck targets than the undamaged ones, but it was not designed as a scientific experiment.
I guess one could draw conclusions from this small sample.
1. All 4 pellet strikes broke the clays.
2. Almost all the 3 strike broke the clays. 1/2% didn't.
3. Around 1/6th (17%) of the unbroken targets were hit by 1 pellet and did not break. Check your numbers, please. I see 3 1/2% (7/200) didn't break.
John

John, good job running this test. The information is interesting. We do not know how many broke with one, two, or three hits. Therefore, we can't make any estimate of probability of a break from one, two, or three hits. For example, if we have 14 one pellet hits, ofwhich 7 didn't break,we can estimate the probability of a one pellet hit breaking at 50%. If we also know the aiming error and the pattern distribution, we can estimate the likely score. With this working reliably, we can estimate scores where we change one variable at a time. Thus, we can see when to change choke, shot size, shot charge, or MV.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.