June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, SamW, Dan S. W., R. Glenz, 2 invisible), 301 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,456
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#220348 03/04/11 08:36 PM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm thinking about using fiber wad loads and I heard that if you use a fair amount of grease in the bores it will seal the wads better, deform the shot less and make the shot go faster.

So, would axle grease work, or maybe heavy motor oil? Just don't know, any ideas?

Thanks!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is not what is meant by grease in this application. You need something like the "lubes" used for cast lead bullets. These are more wax and fat based. Haven't looked at the formulea in a long long time but you should be able to find it on the web along with cast bullet shooting. It is melted into the fiber wad which is above the nitro powder card and under the shot. It is not applied to the bore directly. However it is really not needed for nitro loads. It was used with blackpowder to help soften the residue left by the burning powder so the following loads would be able to push out the excess debris. The properly sized nitro card is all the seal you will need. Of course my question is why would you want to go backward in technology when the modern plastic wad technology out performs the best of anything you might do with the fiber wad system? Keeps it simple too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Of course my question is why would you want to go backward in technology when the modern plastic wad technology out performs the best of anything you might do with the fiber wad system? Keeps it simple too.

Aw, Jerry, same reason I shoot damascus barrel guns. And my "go to" rifle is a .54 flintlock. And, to me, any music produced after 1975 is pure rubbish. It's my way of slowing the world down so I can get my bearings. Fiber wads? No junking up the country with a lot of plastic laying around. Go for it!

P.S. Dipping fiber wads in melted Crisco works as well as any other lube you'll find. Just do not grease the nitro over powder card. I wouldn't use petroleum based lubes, excepting paraffin. I believe Circle Fly Wads offers pregreased wads and they'd be a bargain compared to the mess of doing it yourself.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

My vague recollection is that in the era before plastic wads, I used to reload with fiber or card wads that were impregnated with paraffin wax.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm waiting for the rapid biodegradable shot cup wad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, Downrange Wads is offering their line in biodegradable material. Tad bit more expensive but not significant.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, should I apply the grease with a grease gun like you find at a garage?

Also, how much faster will the shot go when you use grease?

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

gjw. I think you have been misinformed, or you have your panties in a crinkle.
We don't use grease to lubricate the bores or the wads, what we do is lubricate the wads in a mixture of beeswax and cooking oil by immersing the wads into hot wax/oil via a deepfat fryer. Just use the wire basket to hold the wads immerse in the hot wax remove to drain off excess and then your good to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gjw-Someone is "pulling your leg". No grease in the barrels please. Put down the grease gun and listen to Jerry, Joe and salopian. Go online and order pre-lubed fiber wads and load your shells. Most people I know use them for black powder loads in paper hulls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:

So, should I apply the grease with a grease gun like you find at a garage?

Also, how much faster will the shot go when you use grease?

I think gjw is pulling your legs. (Unless he wants to end up with an "overbored" barrel).

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.