May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (battle, HalfaDouble, Ian Forrester, AaronN, 4 invisible), 293 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,361
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm certainly a shorthair fan as well. I've owned 4, all out of the same bloodlines, and all have been quite affectionate--although not necessarily "needy" of a lot of human contact, to make a distinction. But if you're looking for a short-haired pointing breed that is, in general, a little softer than shorthairs, you might want to consider a vizsla.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry,
I've been around one vizsla this past season, a young one untrained one. While I don't have near enough information on them, I may be looking for a faster hunting dog than them. More examples could change my mind as they have the personality traits and physical attributes I like.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm arranging to visit with a French Pointer breeder a few hrs away, possibly tomorrow. He said he has some video of live bird (wild) hunting of his dogs and I can see the sire and dam and some others. Pups are due in a few weeks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
Sorry to hear about your dog. That is a tough situaton in a young dog.
I've been around a few Braque Francais, some with different names depending on what region they were bred in. Most were very good dogs. Really check out the breeder, call on other breeders, talk to other owners. This is important as I have hunted with one that is very soft. While she can hunt, she is easily intimidated, especially around other dogs. This isn't the breeds fault. I've hunted with others that were just as good as you can get for a personal hunting dog. I say this as I don't trial, show or whatever, I just hunt with my dogs.
I've hunted with some fantastic Brittany's. Most are fantastic hunters and learn quick. I've hunted with the same dog from New Mexico to Canada.
I own setters and am in love with them, very intelligent strong hunters. I have seen some poor ones though. Again, check the breeder. I would go to some local trials and talk to the fellows there. They will give you some great information, plus they know where the dogs are.

Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, if I could I'd vote for an English setter or brittany if you want affection. Do you plan to train the dog yourself? If so these breeds may not be the best for your first as they tend not to allow as many mistakes as, say, a GSP. Shorthairs are generally tougher, and have been known to have attitude problems. I am a member of several dog forums and always see the my dog bit.... 9 times out of 10, it's a GWP or GSP. Trained tons of dogs steady to wing and shot, and force broke to retrieve. Dad did it for a living for 15 years, bet I've seen 1500+ dogs in my short life. Any questions feel free to give me a call, or send me an e-mail.

Double guns and English Setters
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve,
My area of the country and the birds I hunt are often in warmer weather even during late season hunts. A short haired dog is almost a must...or they have to get buzzed, which is not out of the question. I love everything about the Brits and E-setters/Lewellens and think I could be happy with one, but for the long hair. The few I've been around were friendly and obedient beautiful companions.

Chris,
Thanks for relating your experience with that breed. I've talked to 3 breeders around the country. All 3 seemed to know each other and spoke well of each other. The description of the breed were all the same; great house dogs, fantastic in the field, great instinctive hunters for their owners. Two of the breeders are right here in Southern Calif and hunt not only what I hunt, but also in the same locations.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, Southern California has one of the oldest NAVHDA chapters
you should get in contact with them and see the variety of choices that are available to you in your area you may want to attend one of their tests and see the different breeds in action and talk " dog" people that hunt where you hunt
I judged a test there a few years ago at the High Desert Hunt club.....it was pretty warm

If you check the link below they have a training day tomorrow at Prado regional park in Chino CA

Certainly the place to meet the right people

CJ

http://socalnavhda.com/speedweb/site/index.php?site=NAVHDA&p=directors.php

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Claudio. I just got off the phone with one of the breeders, who is also a NAVHDA member. We are meeting tomorrow up by Santa Barbara. We're going to put a couple of his dogs on the ground and look at some video. Taking my wife and the Lab to see the reaction of both. I'll try to get out to one of the training days at Prado as that is less than an hour drive from my house.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck good to hear...you'll like the NAVHDA bunch
I wish I were going too...getting fed up of the cold up here

Best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CJO
Chuck good to hear...you'll like the NAVHDA bunch
I wish I were going too...getting fed up of the cold up here.

Don't worry Claudio, Spring is officially starting. I've been sitting on my back patio this afternoon enjoying the 70f weather and watching flock after flock of Sandhill Cranes (turkeys) flying North way up high like they really mean it. Its funny, I always hear them before I look high enough in the sky to see the flocks...Geo

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.