June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sun Dog, LGF, SamW, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 364 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,584
Posts546,736
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

For longhaired critters in the briars and such, I use the cheapest, unscented, no dye hair conditioner, just rub it on before you turn them loose, works wonders!

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that the standard tail length ? Looks a bit short to me.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Is that the standard tail length ? Looks a bit short to me.

Apparently, they dock the tails per the tradition. Otherwise, I suspect you couldn't tell the difference between that male and a E-pointer.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cute as they were, I still couldn't bring myself to buy a freshly welped pup. I asked to buy the yearling, but they declined.

So, I'm talking to George Hickox and Ronnie Smith about finished dogs. I may have to cash some stock options to do that! English Pointers.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/24/11 01:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just did that reasoning with a new yellow Lab pup, Chuck. He's eleven weeks. I talked with some trainers about him, and realized I would have, at the very least, $5K in training. Decided to do it, again, myself. I've done it before, I can do it again.

Five big ones will buy lots of shells and dog food.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,
I really envy you guys that have the experience, time and grounds to train one. It's just not in my cards. I live in the suburbs south of LA and just letting a dog off a leash is a $180 fine. There's some formal training grounds about an hour from me, if the traffic is light, two hrs if it's rush hour.

With my dog, the first year was had direct costs of about $5k not counting the cost of the dog. We encountered an elbow problem that cost $3500 of surgery, xrays, meds, etc., to fix, and a number of normal smaller/maintenance vet issues, toss in the dog food, equipment, etc., (which my wife kept copious, meticulous notes of) and there you have it. That didn't include fuel costs, stacks of books on dogs or such. The next year, I attended a Hickox class, which cost me $1500 with me and my wife, plus lodging, meals, for 5 days, 2000 miles of driving and fuel costs, etc., etc.. Then there was the DVDs, new training gear, super special E-collar, bird launchers. Probably a $3500 or more trip in the end.

So, while initial costs of a trained dog are pretty big numbers, I see it as either a lump sum outlay for a known dog capability vs. installments amounting to similar total costs and having me do the training, definitely resulting in a less capable dog than any professional could offer. Anyway, I have the wife convinced of this. So don't wreck that for me. grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another breed you might consider: the Braque Obama. Not sure where they come from, lots of melodious barking, no bite. Short curly black hair.

[IMG]
PFD Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had to replace a dog in the last year. Ask around before you pay a kennel big $$ for a trained dog. You'd be surprised how many people have their circumstances change and need to move a well-trained dog in the 1-4 year old age group. When they do, the price is often $1000 or less. Tell your friends, your taxidermist, your vet that you need one, mention whatever breeds you are interested in, and sooner or later you will get a call or two. It only took a few months for me.
I strongly recommend glucosamine chondroitin for your current dog. Don't waste money on the veterinary version; get the Costco 1200/1500 tables for people, cut them in half, and feed one-half in the morning with food. You will see the difference after a few weeks.
Finally, I live in Arizona, so I know the need to have short haired dogs and cover ground. English pointer is the way to go.
Germans look close, but aren't in my experience. But I am prejudiced after 5 generations of English....

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PFD,
I've been doing the people glucosomine with my lab since we got her just as preventative maintenance. Lately, I've upped her dose with the Costco stuff (I use it too) and my vet told me to find some with not only MSM, but also HA (hyaluronic acid) a.k.a "joint fluid". I couldn't find glucosomine with both so I'm getting a separate supplement. Our vet also recommended we start her on Adequan which is an IM injectable form of glucosomine. This is apparently more effective in getting to the joints in larger quantity and therefore more effective in building soft tissue. We start those injections today with an 8 dose over 4 week start and then to a maintenance program of about 1 a month depending on need. I'm using Tramadol for pain control, which is much less impact to kidneys and such as the normal NSAIDs.

Originally Posted By: gil russell
Another breed you might consider: the Braque Obama. Not sure where they come from, lots of melodious barking, no bite. Short curly black hair.

Gil,
I looked into that breed. The problem is that they always hunt left and ignore everything on the right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to mention the pedigree verification issue.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.