June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Der Ami, 1 invisible), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,610
Posts546,960
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how the rest of you feel about this but if I had to get rid of every shotgun I own(currently around 20) and could only keep one it would be an easy decision for me.
I'd keep the Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga. I've had for over 40 years. It's stood me in good stead all these years and will do just about anything you'd require of a shotgun.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
The American market is certainly stronger for small bores.

Collectors like to buy toys they don't have and most have a nice 12-bore as more are available.

They all start looking for the smaller stuff and there is less of it about so it sells faster and for more money.

I have no time for the small bore fetish personally. A close to 6 3/4 - 7lb 12-bore was made in far higher numbers than anything else for a reason - it does the job better. i'll get my crash helmet!

When I pulled out of the drive-up line at Kentucky Fried Chicken and proceeded out to the ranchland to bag my own birds I left the world of the rational and joined the world of sport. Carrying the most rational effective deadly shotgun ever built does not move me back to the rational world.

And besides that some people fish with a flyrod, 4 pound tippet and a #22 Parchute Adams. Others, more interested in a better job, use dynamite!

And a 7 pound 12 bore does everything better than a 5-1/4 pound 28 gauge except carry on a 9 hour foot hunt behind pointing dogs.

Now I will get my helmet! grin

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/14/11 03:33 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You got that right AmerilloMike.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are still,current politics aside, very blessed in this Country and have incredible options not available to many citizens of the rest of the world.
We know that aren't many places where a lot of the residents could own 20 different shotguns plus a lot of other weaponery as I do and many of you do as well. Economics and restrictive regulations would preclude this.
My point is: If you could only keep ONE shotgun and had to make do with it for all types of hunting how many would keep a 410 or 28 gauge? Either can be a delightful Quail gun with terrific snob appeal as well but would you want one in a duck blind? Anyone care to use one in a shotgun only State for deer hunting?
Getting back to the original question in the thread about the end of the 12 gauge. It's still very hard to argue against it being the most versitile gauge available and I expect it's not only to be around but a real factor as long as hunting is available.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
It's called second childhood...

Second? my arse! grin I haven't got thru the first.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike's little walks invariably turn into a journada del muerto* for most mortal men and dogs. He'll suggest a short stroll around a windmill in a pature corner and six hours later, with a glazed expression in his eyes, he'll be apologizing for the "walk" being a little longer than he expected and for being lost half of the time. And he has no qualms dragging a 70 year old man through this hell. Only two days ago, as I drug myself back to the car whimpering incoherent moans, he compassionately commented, "I don't know why I hunted over there, the birds are always in the corner". Not more'n hundred yards from the truck! But we did get our exercise. Course I had to carry one of his dogs back that had passed out from heat exhaustion. Oh yes.....we didn't even see a single bird on that trip. I carried the perfect gun for this little walk: a 16 gauge hammer single shot at 4 1/2 pounds. Only thing it was used for was a crutch. Damned! but I love bird hunting....and Chinese water torture....and....hitting my thumb with a hammer....and....!

* For you yankees, that means "journey of death".

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
We are still,current politics aside, very blessed in this Country and have incredible options not available to many citizens of the rest of the world. ...

My point is: If you could only keep ONE shotgun and had to make do with it for all types of hunting how many would keep a 410 or 28 gauge? ...

It's still very hard to argue against it being the most versitile gauge available and I expect it's not only to be around but a real factor as long as hunting is available.
Jim

Agreed, we are in the best country in the world.

I'd keep a .410, hands down. I don't waterfowl, have no inclination to, and I don't hunt deer with a shotgun, thats what my bow is for. The .410 has given me more enjoyment than any other gauge, by far.

No arguement from me that a 12g is probably the most versatile insofar as being an efficient weapon. But, since I don't hunt to live, but rather live to hunt, I chose a small bore.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/14/11 04:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Going to have to start shooting my 12s more I guess. Just sort have drifted away from them, my excuse was that they were too heavy. Reading this thread made me think I have at least 3 that are under 7 lbs. a Beretta BL-3, Ithaca 37R and my faorite a fifties V. Bernadelli SxS. Now if the snow melts some more so I can get to the range time to get back to the 12. For me they weren't dead just hibernating.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
But, since I don't hunt to live, but rather live to hunt, I chose a small bore.

Well said Chuck. I've often wondered if I could bag chukars with a .410 sxs. It would be fun to try. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just shot 4 farm raised chukar with a .410 on Saturday's plantation hunt. ('plantation' is too generous. More like muddy weed section from hell, we like to call "the black hole" because it swallows all the birds we pay for. I took 5 wild roosters in So Dakota's openning weeked this past October. I think they go down pretty hard with the right load.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/14/11 05:28 PM.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.