June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 456 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,585
Posts546,746
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

First post here. Greetings all!

For grouse hunting in Eastern Ontario, I usually bring:

Shotgun and shell belt.
Game carrier.
D.H. Russell No.1 in a custom sheath.
500 ml Nalgene full of water. Maybe a small flask if I'm in a single malt appreciation kind of mood. Possibly a couple of apples and some beef jerky if I'm going to be out for several hours.
Camera.

Knife and game carrier go on the belt, sundries in a small shoulder bag. I like to hunt pretty light. I've even tried hunting in a Utilikilt and Vibram Fivefingers, but that got very scratchy very fast smile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Durn, Mike. You sure you don't need an old schoolbus? wink No wonder Joe likes hunting with you, all he needs to bring is his self and his gun! cool

My possibles are:

doublegun and shells

three bag belt bag

shades

cigars

Gerber multiplier

Dan's Windwalker snakeproof chaps

old Columbia shooting gloves, trigger finger cut off

and my buddy Greg's Ranger, tricked out for quail

We've got this thing figured out, eh Joe? grin

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me it's my late fater's realtree camouflage "bush style" hat. The one he wore while in the VA hospital with his name and room number in permanent marker inside so he'd know where to go at the end of the day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thin but tough pigskin gloves that fit close but do not restrict finger and hand flex to ward off blackberry thorns and thornapple thorns as well as all sorts of other branches and puckerbrush snarls that would otherwise shred the backs of my hands and fingers. Anyone who uses fingerless gloves must not get into the thick stuff very much...

My frayed-at-the-cuff six-year-old waxed Filson Tin Cloth chaps for the very same reason but also to keep my legs dry in the morning frost or dew on the goldenrod and tall grass in the edge cover.

A bottle of water and a waxed vest with a game pocket ample enough to hold my wool shirt as the day warms or to hold my rain jacket in case the day turns wet.

A good friend and shooting companion who thinks and hunts much like I do.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 02/01/11 09:20 PM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When out for Sept. dove in TX its still chigger season and they will cross a trap to get to me. Single most important item to keep them at bay is an old sock filled with a handful of dusting sulfur & tied off. Keep it in a pound coffee can w/lid when not in use. Just bang it against yer boots, pants and around yer waist and they mostly stay off. A bottle of clear fingernail polish will suffocate the ones that bite you anyway, but that's post hunt therapy.

Another couple or three items worth packing are extra ear plugs and glasses for those invariably not having them. FWIW, I've found the clear poly glasses sold at most sporty stores & the Wally Marts for 'air soft' use have the highest protective impact ratings and they are inexpensive. Always pack at least a roll of paper towels.

I've also seen times when having some Zantac for the over exuberant and Immodium for the unfortunate was most appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good friend to hunt with
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Valium

Prozac..................for me

More Prozac when your pup points a Missouri squirrel in front of 3 witnesses

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/01/11 10:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox shotgun
Field bred Springer
RST shells
License
Filson shelter cloth vest
Beans brush pants
whistle and counter
snap leash
bottle of water
cell phone (turned off unless an emergency)
Bird knife
Hunting buddy

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Boxlock
Boxlock

I hunt quail in "the shadow of the fence" along the Arizona/Mexico border.For the past few years, in addition to my LC Smith 16ga.,and typical quail gear, I pack 6 rounds of 00 buck, a .357 revolver for backup, and a cell phone.Unfortunately, the scaled quail population in southern Arizona has suffered greatly from the cumulative effects of global warming-birds are scarce.Its a very different situation from the care free days of my youth when quail were abundant and rattlesnakes the only threat! Some times I wonder if its still worth the risk,but,sunrise on the desert with a nice double across your arm is a wonderful thing not to be missed!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.