June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (ithaca1, L. Brown, Jtplumb, Der Ami, MattH, 1 invisible), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,544
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
larryguy
Unregistered
larryguy
Unregistered

In a previous thread indicating satisfaction with Mike Orlen's work, Franc asked about 'some guy' who had complained - I'm "that guy' with the 'beef' and unfortunately things have not been sorted out with Mr. Orlen.

By way of review for anyone interested, 25 months ago I sent Mr. Orlen a set of Smith Ideal Grade barrels for chamber, choke and rustblue work. I enclosed a check for full payment plus shipping/ins. Having had great work done by Mr. Orlen prior and quickly, after 3 months without the barrels I called and was assured that all was done except the bluing and that would be done soon and barrels shipped in 2 weeks. One more call confirmed the same response. My check was cashed within 1 month of receipt and 5 Certified Mail letters with signed Return Receipts to Mr. Orlen resulted in no communication of any sort.

Earlier this year I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau hoping for some sort of response - the BBB contacted Mr. Orlen 3 times and he chose not to respond to any of their inquiries. I then contacted the MA AG's Office to determine the procedure for filing in Small Claims court - the process would require the retention of an attorney since I do not reside near MA and could not appear for court proceedings. The cost to do that would eventually result in more than the barrels are worth.

I reluctantly post this - I despise the airing of 'dirty laundry' that is so prevelant on the internet, but I note that a previous complaint by a well known engraver on this board, resulted in the return of his barrels from Mr. Orlen. Since I have no other economically feasible recourse, I've elected to post here in answer to the question of whether the issue was resolved.

Perhaps someone in the Amherst area would stop by and pick my barrels up for me? If so, pm me and I'll give you the serial number and happily pay the shipping plus your gas expenses.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I to am not a satisfied costomer of Mike Orlin.
I sent a set of bbls. to be re blued and choke work to be done.
After 6 mos. I called and was told the bbls. would be shipped in a week, this lie was repeated monthly for several mos. Then he would not answer the phone. After a year I sent a registered letter requesting my property be returned, I told him to keep the money just return my property! A couple of phone calls (I used a different phone) and a total of 14 months my bbls. were back! The choke work was done but no blueing was done. I consider myself fortunate that I recieved my bbls. back!

Idler

idler
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find this amazing since I have had a total of three things done, barrel work and stock bending, and he was very professional and very quick. He even shipped the items back before I had made payment.
I would love to hear his story on this.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find it amazing as well. I've had nothing but excellent results when I've used Orlen for barrel work. I've sent Orlen no less than 10 jobs over the years and only one time did he have my barrels in his shop for longer than a day. I usually had my barrels back at my doorstep within 10 days of sending them out. Sorry to hear of your misfortunes, but I will continue to use Mike and recommend him to anyone needing barrel work done in a timely and professional manner.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also had a barrel choke job done by Mike that was returned very promptly.

Based on that positive experience and that of others, I sent him a set of barrels for choke work and rust blue.

This was near three years ago.

I sent no funds because some dent work needed to be done and I wish to pay him the actual amount he wishes to charge. This seems reasonable, I have no idea the time he needs to invest in the project.

I've contacted him twice, the last time just over a year ago.

Promise was a 10 day turn around each time.

I'm patient. I revere Mike as a barrelsmith. I've resisted posting anything negative here.

These are just the facts.

Apparently, good things take time in Amherst.

The barrels are off a $800 Sterlingworth, so it's no big deal and I have other guns to shoot.

Still.... three years?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

When this happens, one has to wonder. Why is it taking this long to get back? Did something bad happen to the barrels? Were they lost, stolen, just plain can't seem to want to do them. Then you wonder, why not answer the poor owner? Why not just say what happened and why they aren't done? I have used Mike and I was very happy with the speed and work. Yet, this story keeps resurfacing and I am sure those that have a problem, it is a serious and very real problem.

Off this very topic and not about Mike. But nearly 10yrs. ago, I sent a pair of barrels to a guy to re-breech them and make into flint barrels. He won't do a thing to answer my ph. calls or my emails. He even avoids me at Friendship. Of course I have long ago now, after all the high blood pressure, just plain gave the barrels and the person up as lost cause.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike's done one set of chokes for me and I was very happy. Turn around was two weeks.

The two guys who have posted about an unreasonably slow turn around both were having bluing work done. Perhaps Mike just doesn't like to blue barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had Mike do about 25 jobs for me, all quick turnaround and excellent workmanship. A couple of times I've asked him to do other work for me and he has said that he only does choke and barrel work and stock bending. When a smith takes too long on my work, I have it returned and I send it elsewhere. You can't beat Danner gunsmithing in Fayetteville, TN for rust bluing. He has done about five jobs for me. They all seem to cost about $300.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there not a complaint process that allows a shooting man to file a complaint with the Government license board for gunsmiths there in the USA that would call into question if this gunsmith should have his license renewed,until this issue is sorted out?

Regards;

Sidelock
Sidelock

No Government licnese board here.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.