I would offer the following report as evidence of what I was talking about with respect to acid rain, but since it was written by scientists, it apparently lacks any credibility:

[url=www.esf.edu/efb/mitchell/class%20readings%5Cbiosci.51.180.198.pdf]Acid Rain Study 2001[/url]

It strikes me as a very dangerous marketing strategy for Dupont to falsely contend that one of its products was damaging the ozone layer just to sell a new product. It seems a little more plausible that they knew well before the public about the link between their product and the ozone hole and began developing a replacement product in case the word got out.

Follow this conspirancy logic far enough, and you would have to conclude that tobacco companies fabricated the lung cancer scare in order to sell nicotine gum and ammo manufacturers are behind the effort to ban lead shot because they can make money on Hevi-Shot, etc. And of course Salk fabricated that whole polio thing just so he could invent the vaccine.

The rocket scientists who first hypothesized that we could escape earth's gravity had nothing to go on but calculations and predictions. If we had run them off as a bunch of self-interested academics in search of grant money, we would have a lot poorer understanding of this little blue ball - in fact we would not even know this was a little blue ball that we are sitting on.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.