June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, Jtplumb, Jimmy W, Bluestem, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 561 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,502
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

My understanding is that lining costs from around £1500 ($2500) upwards and hence high value best guns are usually treated to such a process. Nigel Teague does an amazing job I've seen them...that was a Stephen Grant top end piece of kit and looked very nice...

I wouldn't touch it personally given the hole...it's new/sleeved/lined otherwise...

T

Phail Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sure anxious to see the gun and post more info
Thanks to all
Bill

J W McPhail
Sidelock
Sidelock

Teague's will not line barrels with holes in ,ask him once and he said no. Had a similar discussion witha guy about a pin hole,I said sleeve it he said "I know a guy that can weld it up so good it will be better that new". He had it done .He took it away,came back 2 weeks later and I sleeved the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Damascus gun with a 1/4"+ crack at the muzzle Buck Hamlin welded it and it is undetectable in the pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

riflegunbuilder
Can you provide a contact for Buck Hamlin?
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ridiculous as it sounds, Elmer Keith stated in "Shotuns" that he had an old Elsie with a pea-sized hole near the muzzle which he repaired successfully with a soldered on patch of sheet metal, claiming it had no effect on the gun other than appearance. Who knows? Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck Hamlin
8501 Cedar Trail
Pevely, MO 63070
(636)479-4304

This info is correct. I spoke with Mr. Hamlin a few months ago. He is a very congenial fellow and is held in high regards by many. Cheers!

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pressure towards the muzzle end of the barrel are low enough that repairs should be possible. Micro welding has made amazing advances in recent years. I'd look for a welding solution before sleeving. BUT, I'd not weld in the breech or hand area, only well forward of the hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I found top rib came out on Whitworth fluid steel English made barrels, I unsoldered ribs and found 'tonns' of corrosion flakes under ribs and pinhole just in the middle of right barrel.
Just soldered this pinhole with braze and soldered ribs at the place again.
These barrels shoot still and without any problems, of cause with light loads.
Clair Kofoed knows this story, I told him, when he was here.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we need somewhere to send questionable barrels to be x-rayed or whatever before being offered for sale and/or bought. Sort of a certification process like they do with high end coins.Sure save a lot of angst and bad feelings if you could get the barrels certified by a someone that everyone trusted.I have seen some really high end Parkers etc. with rust under the ribs,riveling,etc and this wasn't known until the gun was shipped or otherwise left the sellers hands.A company offering to fully check barrels,not necessarily firing the gun,for "bad spots" would be a great help.The company would have to have the stamp of "official" with everyone being on board that their certification was the final word. I know some gunsmiths offer this service but sometimes we hear less than glowing reports about them.We need someone that everyone can agree on.I would think with the hundreds,if not thousands, of transactions that it could be financially feasible.Or not.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.