+1 on Miller's alcohol procedure. It works 100% of the time.

A couple of tips that I didn't read above (or may have missed) that I have learned over many years of shooting these BP guns, if shooting clays, doves, or any game where it is feasible. Shoot BOTH barrels before you reload. It is much more economical to reload both than just one. Of course, that isn't always feasible, so when you reload just one, and the other remains loaded, REMOVE THE CAP FROM THE NIPPLE ON THE LOADED BARREL before you even put the butt on the ground. Someone mentioned putting one thumb over the loaded barrel to prevent accidentally loading another charge in it. I use my loading rod to do this. Soon as the butt hits the ground I remove the rod from the thimbles, if using the gun's ramrod, and drop it down the barrel while I load the other. Of course, making a dedicated loading rod for casual shooting, not walk up hunting, is better. I make them by using a straight grained hickory rod and fitting an old solid brass doorknob to one end. Some of them are very nice looking and it really makes an attractive part of your shooting kit. Get a capper. It's a handy tool that holds your caps and dispenses them one at a time, making it much easier to cap the nipple as well. Big or cold fingers are not conducive to easily handling a little no. 11 cap. Tedd Cash, here in the States, makes the best ones I know of. I have used his forever with perfect results. I put it on a lanyard and hang it around my neck while hunting or just shooting.

Good luck, John. I'd like to see the grin on your face the first time you touch one off.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.