Hello LRF,

I agree towards the end of it's life the Sharps Company was struggling and the Borchardt was its last hope.

I also agree that the basic production Borchardt could leave a lot to be desired, but even despite its faults it can still be a match winner today, provided it is set up correctly by a 'Smith' who really knows Borchardts. The faults can be overcome by very careful smithing. The cam plates can be a problem and the right hand plate is subject to breaking because it is weakened by the extractor clearance cut in the metal. The trigger pull is also a problem, but all these faults can be overcome, although not easily in a mass produced action.

If the cocking plates are adjusted correctly they will withdraw the firing pin immediately. Wear can be reduced by using the correct steels that are properly heat treated.

The Lever Spring mounting is crude but this problem has already been solved by Lozito-Wolf and very neatly indeed.

Several attempts have been made to improve the Borchardt, the first by P.O.Ackley who formed a company to produce a modified Borchardt, this was taken over by the Colt Manuf. Co and they only produced a small number of these 'Colt Sharps' rifles before dropping it, presumably because of high production costs and low shooter interest because all the calibres it was offered in were very modern cartridges that were not popular with traditional single shot rifle owners.

Another modified version was produced in very small numbers (probably less than 20 in all) by a gunsmith called Steve Fotu. He modified the breech block so it contained a different type of striker action and also mounted the trigger. Sadly he couldn't maintain production at a reasonable price, or possibly even lost money on them. The last I heard he had closed his shop and was working as an engineer for someone else.

No one as ever made a perfect rifle, some come close, some come very close, but sadly the nearer perfection they are the higher the price seems to be.I do look forward to seeing any improvements you can make to this action.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 09/11/10 05:50 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.