June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (JDH, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 585 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,769
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My favorite engraving pattern,

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One with DST's and engraving, this is Terry's rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The photo above is a rifle with George Schoyen muzzle loading barrel, .32-40. Schuetzen wood is not nearly as extreme as many Schoyen's; in fact, it is somewhat Zischang in style (that means elegant, in my opinion).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just enough engraving to set off the lines of the action and with the case colors really make a statement of quality and refinement.Both wonderful rifles.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Question concerning this Zischang Sharps Borchardt, what is the screw in the top of the breech block for?

Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW! Now I know what I want, this action with these triggers and the Zichang stock on Terry's Borchardt. The way that stock picks up the lines on the front and back of the action and carries it onto the wood is impressive. I like this action even better than the panelled one's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely rifles!
Some Borchardts coming up for sale at Julia's Auction.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
Question concerning this Zischang Sharps Borchardt, what is the screw in the top of the breech block for?

I have or have had a Borchardt with a hole in that location. I believe that it's just a screw to cover the hole. Under the hole would be a another screw in the top of the firing pin in line with the sear notch. As you turn in the screw you shorten the contact of the sear from the underside. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Tomorrow I'll check and see if I have one so modified.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF

Hello LRF,

Michael is correct, the screw on the top of the rear end of the breechblock is a cap screw covering access to a much smaller adjusting screw contained within the firing pin, the adjusting screw which passes vertically through the firing pin contacts the top side of the sear. Turning the adjusting screw in, or out, will alter the depth of engagement of the sear in the sear notch.

A description of this adjusting screw and an exploded drawing of the Borchardt breechblock showing where parts have to be modified appeared in The American Rifleman for September 1946 pages 22 & 25 and was written by a Mr. Al Marciante, under the Title of 'Borchardt Trigger Pull'.

The article does contain a gross error in that the author recommends 'squaring up' both the sear notch and the sear tip. In fact the contact surfaces of the sear and the sear notch are angled at 103 degrees to the centre line of the firing pin. This angle is due to the geometry caused by the position of the sear pivot pin. This angle was known to Borchardt as it appears in his patent drawings, but seldom, if ever, in more recent drawings.

A simple grinding jig can be made to hold both the sear and the firing pin at the correct angle that can be used on a precision grinding machine. (See attached picture below). The firing pin in the picture is not finish machined, and is only shown in position in the jig for demonstation purposes.

I have not been able to trace any reference to this adjusting screw mechanism prior to 1946, and I strongly suspect that, whilst several of these sear engagement adjusting screws are known to exist on Zischang Borchardts, they were fitted long after the Master had passed on.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 09/10/10 04:39 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael & Harry,
Thanks!

Harry do you have a copy of the 1946 article that could be shared or do you know if it is on the web?

Thanks again.
PS: Haven't seen the package yet but have my eyes open looking for it. Hopefully it comes by Saturday or I''ll have to look for it when I get back next friday from California and Mexico. (Oh joy! business travel, NOT)

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.