June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
15 members (bushveld, Austin Hawthorne, dukxdog, buckstix, fallschirmjaeger, 3 invisible), 339 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,027
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 40X receivers are etched with the Remington logo rather than stamped like the 700s, at least the ones that I've seen have been done that way. Supposedly for stress-relief reasons. I'm a great admirer of most older Remington rifles for their accuracy, don't know about the newer ones since ~1980. My friend who lends me the benchmark testing rifle has about a dozen 40Xs in calibers from 22LR to 300 Magnum, they are largely unsurpassed for accuracy but still look like they're mass-produced.

At one time the 6.5 Arisaka TG/FP was a preferred upgrade for a custom short-action Remington, either 722 or short 700, but now that the collector price has risen it's become cost-prohibitive. Too bad.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ohiosam

if i had 18k it would not go towards any 40x sporter. it's a pity such nice action was used for stupid .22 rimfire. crazy
i have sporter on xp-100 action and it's a nail driver. i can honestly say i wish for nothing else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
Lipstick on a pig can't hide the mass-produced look. Move the decimal point one place to the left and it might be worth a second glance.
Regards, Joe

I've held this gun in my hand and if you believe, for a minute, it looks mass produced, I've got a good opthamolgist contact for you. I do find it fascinating, 10 years ago the same mindset was that 40x 52 sporters were absurdly priced and now... they've doubled and tripled. Want to bet what happens 5-10 years out?

Last edited by tim simbari; 07/15/10 10:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have NO doubt that, right now even as we speak, some foolish person is considering the purchase. And OF COURSE the price will rise over time, we all know that!

My point is that, in my mind, this is and will always remain a mass-produced tool that's been gussied up with some engraving and a certain flashiness. Like I said, lipstick on a pig. Now, I like pork(Remingtons) better than most folks on this forum but I'm not willing to pay filet mignon prices for what's basically only an engraved tool with zero charisma.

If the engraving had been done by Lynton McKenzie, though.....

If I had a spare $18K I'd look at something a lot older and a lot finer, or else a lot newer and made to my specs by a master, not the Remington 'custom' shop. Sorry, JMO.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington actions are great for making tack driving target rifles but take a lot of work to make into a truly fine custom rifle.I think that most people prefer the Mauser type extraction/feeding system.

Sidelock
Sidelock

F grade Remingtons have been around certainly since the 1930s and maybe earlier, have to ask a Rem collector. Have seen a few 8s, 81s, 14s, 141s - I never look at shotguns but no doubt there were more than rifles. Wood was always gorgeous but engraving never impressed me, although some were pretty good. I am sure the Rem collectors know chapter and verse about who the factory engravers were but I don't recall reading anything about them. B grade Remingtons, IMO, with pretty wood and checkering, were usually very nice. I remember owning a 722B that was a honey. As you ran up the letter grades they became more and more flamboyant and, to me, less attractive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, my buddy had a 722 B in .257 that was really nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This a Rem 17E (20 ga. slide action shotgun) I have been trying to buy for over 5 years now. It's in bad shape but the wood underneath that grime looks like it's worth the effort. The metal work will be a chore but again, worth it. Mr. Hurst has volunteered to do the screws if I ever get it!

Current owner is not interested in guns, belonged to his father-in-law, he just can't make up his mind what to do or how much to ask. I see him a few times a year and ask about it, it's still there.

Right click/view image for larger photos.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope you get it and can get it restored. Very neat little gun and it deserves a loving home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 17 was made only as a 20 and was a superb shotgun. I think Ithaca copied it for the Model 37. Am I mistaken or was the 17 a Browning design?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.