June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (eightbore, Vall, FallCreekFan, Gunning Bird, KDGJ), 452 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,581
Posts546,690
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've lived in TX most of my life and I don't mind telling you there is very little high level craftsmanship here.

If you want someone who can barbecue or throw a rope around a cow's neck, come to Texas. If you want machine work, masonry, carpentry, or just about any other discipline that requires craftsmanship, stay up North.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They took over a year to do a simple color casr job for me.
Never again.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
If you want someone who can barbecue or throw a rope around a cow's neck, come to Texas. If you want machine work, masonry, carpentry, or just about any other discipline that requires craftsmanship, stay up North.

Unless of course you live in the Amarillo area and need air conditioning or plumbing and you contact my company. grin

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/15/10 04:18 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Rockdoc:
I could add to what "AmarilloMike" has experienced with Briley. But I won't. Since you are in Texas, I strongly suggest that you call Kirk Merrington. He's near Kerrville now, but formerly of Churchills in the UK. And a man you can trust for such work without hesitation. I do.
His phone: 830.367.2937

Best, Kensal

I heartily cast a third vote for Kirk. He's perhaps one of the best double gun gunsmiths in this hemisphere. Right up there with Turnbull. Be prepared to wait and to pay a premium though.

As an alternative, I had a Bonehill worked on by a guy out in Waller named Bobby Pitchford. He worked under Kirk Merrington while they were both at Briley. He spun off and opened his own shop in Waller. He's primarily a riflesmith, but he's a fantastic gunsmith and I'd recommend him staunchly to anyone.

His site...

http://www.pcgguns.com/

Last edited by phideaux2003; 06/15/10 04:27 PM.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry Feland is the go to guy for Doubles in the Houston area.
He has worked on Mdl 21s, LC Smiths and Merkels for me.
First class.
281-373-0335

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know the folks at Briley very well and have know Jess Briley for many years. In fact when he and Clyde Lang built the first set of gauge tubes. Not even a company then. They do pretty good bbls work. I have been able to tour the back shop area as a friend of mind was the shop manager for many years. they have so much work its unbelieveable. The did do work for S & W, made choke tubes for Remington and a host of parts for other companies too. They have gotten super large and super busy. Its like the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. (If you have ever been in on you know what I mean!) They are high volume. At onetime the gunsmiths were payed by the piece, not a salary. So their incentive was to crank out the work. So do not expect hand holding, calls before the work in being done, or strong personal contact every step of the way. If you want that you need to go to a small shop with less volume. Briley is a high volume, production shop.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in LA we deal with them a lot. The word is that you must be a dumb A, rude and crude to work in Briley sales. They do have high skill people in the shop.
bill

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your candid replies, you all answered several questions like:
- Turn around time, I'd rather not wait a 6 months to get my gun back.
- Customer service, I'd rather not be treated like crap where I spend a lot of money.
- Value, I'd like to spend a fair amount to have a competent job done.
I think the responses I received answered all these questions.
Thank you.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 06/16/10 10:48 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will not use Briley again for choke tubes or sub guage tubes.I get mad all over again when I think of what they did.

Dan Crowley aka danc
Florida

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Briley will never do any work for me again, since they permanently marred the barrels of a new Perazzi MX8-20 28 gauge some years ago. Appeared they clamped the barrels crudely in doing the work, marring the bluing. The shop I had do the shipping sent them back and got no response, other than sending the barrels back. The chokes were bored true, and were otherwise fine. I more recently inquired about some other work, and got similar treatment. Maybe they are so big and have so much work that service doesn't matter to them. There are enough other good guys around to be aggravated by Briley.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.