June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wild Skies, Guy Ave, skeettx, 2 invisible), 262 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,467
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Jerry! You're killing me!

I've never heard the term "gun whore" before; but I suppose the term applies in spades to me.

I also have very few regrets about the guns I've sold or traded over the years. But I, like you, have my pet: my father's old 12-gauge Ithaca 37, with which--truth be told--I've killed more birds than all of the other shotguns I've even owned combined! If I wasn't a gun whore, I would be satisfied with the ol' 37 and call off my off my search.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had several Ugartecheas and have been happy with them all. I do have a 28 ga. Grade II for sale right now but not because there is anything wrong with it. I just have more 28 gauges than I need. However, with $3000 as your budget, there are lots of other good choices available in used 12 gauges. Some dandy Lefevers and even some Parkers. Take your time and look for a real treasure. Any new SxS at $3000 will likely not be as fine as a better built, older classic. They will never again build guns like they used to.
Good luck with your quest.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own and like my older classic Lefevers, Foxes, and Elsies......but if I were buying a SINGLE SxS to hunt with, I'd opt for a newy manufactured shotgun, such as the Uggie. The older classics are much more likely to have parts wear out, or break, since they are a century old (+ or -).

If you choose an old classic, always take a back-up shotgun with you on your hunting trips.

I love the "Oldies" but they are more likely to break now and then.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of truth in what Jerry wrote. Not everyone is interested in keeping a really good English trained gunsmith in shrimp, steak and beer for the next 6 months putting an old good gun back to right. Maintenance on an old double is a different word, with a different meaning, versus how the same word is used on something like an 870 pump.
If you are just going to have one, go newer, with modern ammunition capability.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had two of the Grade 1 Ugartecheas from Lion Country. I believe they are a good gun for the money. Within the last 5 years I have had three guns made to fit me from Arrieta. I have since sold the Uggies.

I have had no experience with the higher grade Ugartecheas. I met Bruce Buck(semi infamous shotgun writer) once many years ago. He said of Spanish guns "if they cost the same, they are the same" this has held true for me.

I have seen the Webley and Scotts. They look nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or go find yourself a good old American built SxS, you won't need anything else....you may WANT something else but you won't NEED anything else!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I have had no experience with the higher grade Ugartecheas. I met Bruce Buck(semi infamous shotgun writer) once many years ago. He said of Spanish guns "if they cost the same, they are the same" this has held true for me."

I would very much agree with Bruce's statement, above. Certainly with guns made in the same country. Good advice!

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

i have three high grade Uggies.A grade IV 16 lion country,119 28 ga. and 1030 20 ga from Aspen.They are all very nice sidelocks. Bobby

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.