I don't know whether it is apparent or not but many of these examples are from my favorite period that being the latter part of the 19th century. It was an example from that period that made me bite hook, line & sinker and I've been smitten with the period and craftsmen ever since. Similar to Drew, I may be the only one following this(Drew I am closely following your efforts), but Jani's acquisition does have the "bow-tie" or sculpted cross feature at the triggerplate to frame interface and the frame is sculpted similar to other Austrian examples. A couple of the questions that I have that prevent me from going "all in" on the Ausrian theory is that the lock and forend seem typical so Suhl and surrounding areas. On most Austrian examples I've seen the locks have a slight different pin configuration and are attached by a screw at the forward/receiver end, and may be a moot point. But post 1882 after rail entered Suhl, components could have more easily been sourced from Suhl. If I remember correctly most if not all of the German sourced tubes found on Austro-Hungarian examples either had a Sauer mark, one of the Kebler boy's mark or some other Suhl/Zella Saint Blasii tube craftsman's mark. In the mid to late 1880s, the Ferlach cooperative was formed and the craftsmen really began to embrace mechanization. But I'm sure they still sourced Suhl. Also with a Sauer rebarrel, I'd think there would be marks typical of Sauer. So with Jani's example being devoid of any Sauer facility marks, I'd think the tubes were made elsewhere and Sauer's name roll stamped on the top rib. The lack of proofmarks also makes me question a Sauer rebarrel unless it was possible during wartime production. All in all a truly interesting puzzle.

Noted as having "Not English Make" and "2 1/2" " stamped on the flats or tubes.

J. Just Drilling.

Johann Springer

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse