[quote=MT_DD_FAN] And a quote by the head spokesman at MT fish & game from that story:
Quote:
Montana’s proposed ban did not grow out of worries for doves, said Ron Aasheim, a spokesman for the department. While doves are hunted here, they are much fewer in number than the more popular species of pheasant, grouse and Hungarian partridge.

There’s nothing to suggest lead shot poses any risk to those or any other upland game bird species, Aasheim said. Montana’s tentative ban was proposed only to be “consistent” with the federal ban and other lead shot bans on certain tribal lands.

...... There are no “biological reasons” to ban lead shot on the areas, but people simply may not like it, Aasheim said and commissioners want to know about it. So far, Aasheim said, most of the comments have been negative.

Aw hell, now I do feel silly! Had I only known that there wasn't an actual need other than to be "consistent" I would have been cheer-leading right along with Komrade Deeble.

The following sent to me by a friend on the importance of being consistent:

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.”

from R.W. Emerson

Rob Harris