Doug,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of all the internal barrel mods I run across on vintage guns. I don't like a chopped stock, or a pad on a little 20g that didn't come with one. I just said: "... it reminds me of the vintage WW2 airplanes...", not that it was exactly the same. But there are some similarities, but also vast differences.

The vintage guns that I've modified/resstored were ones that had been chopped on the stocks, restocked poorly, had mechanical problems, etc. I always strived to make a gun better than it was, not just for my uses, but with an eye toward preservation. Afterall, I could just buy a new gun if function were the only criteria. For example, the Fox below had a cracked, poorly done replacement stock, that didn't fit me. The restocking was done in the spirit of the original, with upgraded wood and upgraded Fox X grade pattern checkering along with a X grade forend shaping. However, the barrels were Full/Mod and I wanted them to remain original, I also wanted the chambers to remain original. But I didn't specify that I didn't want the chambers lengthened to the guy doing the stock and metal finishing and to my dismay, he lengthened the chambers and forcing cones. I was upset, but what's done is done. I've almost forgotten about it until you brought this up. Darn. LOL. Anyway, the long chambers and cones don't completely ruin it for me. But I am glad the chokes are still original. On the otherhand, I have this relatively rare 20g LC Smith Trap grade with 32" bbls that some dingus openned to Mod/Mod. That one bothers me.