June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (KDGJ, 1 invisible), 476 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,573
Posts546,474
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, Jani. I saw many German Suhl guns made for officers, but without proofmarks. All of them bear caliber markings first of all.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: montenegrin

It may well be a Suhl frame but the finished product still whispers "Ferlach" to my ears. Lack of indicators is yet another indication in this direction.
As I see it, one possibility is that it was made for a high ranking Allied (British?) officer in occupied Ferlach, possibly circa 1947, before the formal production was restarted (circa 1948?). He could afford to skip the formal proofing - if it was operative at that early date at all.

Jani:
I hadn't considered that but I do know of a couple instances up into the 1960s where a couple cartons of cigarettes, a Russian machinegun barrel and a Mauser action, could get you a finished rifle as well as re-fitted/retro fitted examples going back to the U.S. of A. "somehow skipped the proofhouse stage". I will concur that it has elements of a Ferlach example but still I think the resemblence reverts back to a Suhl origin. But then again I am not at all familiar with the occupation of Austria.

I think it was in Mr. Cate's book that a Sauer example in the 380k range was made for General Curtis Lemay in early 1950, but it wears proofmarks.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

"No" what, Geno? What you say is supporting my theory in one important respect (lack of proof marks), and there were certainly some differences between Suhl and Ferlach procedures under post WWII occupation. As far as I know (without checking sources) Suhl was occupied by the Russians/Soviets, and Ferlach by the British.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geno
Raimey, for post war East Zone or GDR that's impossible, moreover thats impossible for Buhag.
I can't see s/n, but my guess to check it with Meffert prewar serials.

Geno:
What is "it" that is impossible. Post WWII up thru 1949 things were all 6s & 7s/upsidedown in Germany and during this time about anything was possible. BuHaG more than likely wouldn't have peddled it but the existing craftsmen who had no other choice but to stay could easily have made it, either using stock on hand or making every component, which would have been a requirement of this example.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about Ferlach occupied by British, but I know about Suhl, Buhag, Eastern Zone and GDR. Buhag just finished guns made by Merkel, Simson, Sauer departments. They never made something unusual. When Buhag came to life all GDR production had to be certified.

BTW. I've been told Fanzoj family made something rather like.

Geno.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.