May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 265 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,557
Posts546,281
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Dunn at Grand Junction Tn. is convinced the turkeys got them....it couldn't be true because the quail were gone before there were very many turkeys.
I think it's a combination of things topped off with farming chemicals...a guy I was talking to the other day thinks it was caused by arial spraying.

One thing I do know is Ft.Campbell Military base has lots of wild turkeys and lots of wild quail.
With a little scientific investigation at the base an answer might be found.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I think it's a combination of things topped off with farming chemicals...

That is what I think too.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Compression to a 'yote eh? last year's gun deer season (Nov. 2008) second week-end I hunted a private farm in Mecosta Co. - 260 acres and bordering a neighbor's sheep ranch- the farmer had been hearing 'yotes howl at night- So I took a elevated (about 60 feet) tree stand in a tree line of oaks bordering the swamp- had the old M-70 SG in 30-Gov't-06- Leupold 3x9 VX-111 set at 5 power- stoked with my No. 1 venison nailin' load- Remmie 180 Grain Core-Lokts- nailed two of those sheep eatin' roadrunner chasin' midget wolves- and they were, I am sure, at that range when I squeezed off their coup de gras- both "Compressed" and "Impressed"- first one did a summersault (OK- it was Nov- fallsault) in the air- blood spraying the snow as his lungs went into the '06 cuisinart- and like sharks or rats coming to a familial kill for chowcall- about one hour later another 'yote came along, sniffed the blood trail of his now dearly departed bro'- and decided to come closer for a "checky-checky"- BIG Mistake- I gave him, just for funzies, a "Texas heart shot" right up da fundamental, as the Limies like to say- as he was sniffing out his fallen comrade- tail curled up high- the impact of that 180 grainer at 2800 fps. shoved him forward on the crusted snow quite a few feet, later exam of both carcases showed the bullet exited the second critter at his throat- maybe not "compression" but sure is "penetration"-- no wonder Remmie calls that round "The deadliest mushroom in the woods"- Yup- sure is--nost generally though, I like the older Sako in .243Win with 55 grain Hornady moly-coat tipped rounds- at 3790 fps. muzzle velocity- when you nail a woodchuck or fox or 'yote with one of those loads- "Mama Mia"!! Kill "em all, let Ma Nature sift "em out afterwards"!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jo- as a 'Nam Vet- I am surprised- you failed to mention that Ft. Campbell, KY also has a sizeable amount of Eagles- if you listen carefully with your ear to the ground (even from Clarksville) you can sometimes even hear one screamin'"" RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not a "Nam vet-...nor have I saw any eagles up there.

I don't think they have enough water for eagles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Predators as these are definitely on the rise and have been for a long time. There are many solutions (proposed)but very few work. You can't shoot, trap, push out or relocate them. Poison works. This is nothing new-blaming the gun again.However keep your pets on a short leash. These wolves will kill anything. Reminds me of a photo of a Pitbull in the local paper that had mangled a 5 year old neighbor. Why is that dog still alive! What ever needs to be done. I have shot Black labs that were chasing a deer. Don.t like to do it, but it has to be done. Across the border, this is a horrible problem.

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: EDM
It could be that the turkeys have driven our pheasants away. Investigation continues. EDM

Ed, we wonder the same thing about turkeys and our collapsed quail population here in Georgia. Baby quail look just like fuzzy little bugs; a perfect beak-full for the omnivorous big bird...Geo

I didn't mean that the turkeys ate the pheasants. It's just that when the big birds move in and occupy the limited cover in numbers, the smaller birds likely feel more comfortable by moving somewhere else.

Another observation is that just recently after our latest big snow storm, the pheasants we do have congregated on and near our plowed road, for the gravel I presumed, but I also observed them pecking weed seeds from the weeds standing above the deep snow cover, which makes sense; they gotta eat, and all the corn scattered under the iced-over snow cover isn't accessible. And in fact the pheasants can thrive absent corn, wheat, beans, and other row crop residues simply by ingesting the ever-present non-economic seeds...and herein lies my thesis for our declining pheasant populations: Things ain't what they used to was.

When I was a kid and pheasants were plenty, corn was on 42-inch rows and average 60-bushel yields, with much of it standing through the snow cover and harvested by a corn picker for storage and drying in corn cribs. Along came the combined picker and sheller ("combine") and narrower rows, dropping to 38-inch, then 30-inch, and we are now on 15-inch rows with yields exceeding 200 bushels, but the changing practices leave little for the wild bird populations...and there is more to the story...

Until about 15 years ago Round-Up Ready beans didn't exist, and the weeds had a chance. Round-Up isn't killing the pheasants directly, as it is so benign that the average housewife can buy it in the hardware or grocery store to tune up her garden. Every licensed herbicide has a "L/D-50" number, the higher the better, as the number means the Dose-quantity by body weight necessary to be a Lethal for 50% of the tested population. Round-Up has a sky-high L/D-50 number, even higher than aspirin, and is widely used and considered the safest of herbicides...and here's the catch:

The stuff is so deadly to tough weeds that it kills everything but genetically altered soybeans and corn. Round-Up has preformed miracles in cleaning up the tillable acreages, and by cleaning up the beans there is a clean-up carry-over to rotated corn. My fields are clean as the proverbial hound's tooth and my pheasants need to gravitate to the scant cover near my roads to get a bite to eat when there is snow cover. The turkeys are better able to get to the snow-covered crop residue and are commonly seen in the corn stalks, thus marginalizing the pheasants to the diminished interior and exterior fence rows, for which reduction of cover and food source we farmers are culpable.

Our equipment is gigantic by historic standards; no more 40 acres and a mule and 42-inch rows; no more 35 HP tractors and corn pickers doing 80 acres on 38-inch rows...fact is that the old military-like pheasant hunt with an armed formation walking standing corn and blockers stationed at the end of the field went the way of the passenger pigeon when farmers adopted 30-inch rows...and now with 15-inch rows and Round-Up Ready beans, plus the elimination of interior fence lines to open up fields for the large equipment, and now BT corn (diminished worm larva) and, finally, Round-Up Ready corn: IMHO these taken together are the root but invisible causes of declining pheasant populations, just like the destruction of habitat triggered the decline and ultimate extinction of the passenger pigeon.

And there's not much we can do about it, unless the Obama administration decides to nationalize agriculture along with everything else, limit farming operations to 40 acres, and guarantee a mule in every shed.... Investigation continues. EDM

EDM
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.