June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Argo44), 375 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,603
Posts546,896
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The English said straight grips were better....and the truth is no one knew shotguns better than the English.

I've got all three (straight, semi and full pistol grip) and I'm not smart enough to say it's "pOppycock".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I'm not smart enough.

That pretty much covers it.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pure sheepdip. People cripple themselves with such crutches. "Oh, the reason I missed that second bird is because I should have had a straight grip on this double trigger gun. I'm just going to have to get rid of it."

Hogwash!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Straight grip is not for DT actually, it's for shooting targets flying over your head.
Take a look at DR with DT and grips, I only once saw 9,3x74R DR with straight grip, but it was made by Belgian Defourny and gun looked very stupid.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I guess it's true that nothing you shoot with a double rifle is likely to be flying over your head.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot straight grips, pistol grips, single triggers and double triggers equally poorly, and can switch from any configuration to any other without any forethought or problems.

As for the English and straight grips........... anyone who has ever shot straight gripped guns with heavy loads will realize very quickly that you give up, for a fraction of a second, control over the gun during recoil. More so than with any other grip configuration. The English, for the most part, leaned toward lighter loads in their guns than we Americans. I shoot a 32" A grade Fox which has 3" chambers and a straight hand stock, a lot. I can notice the recoil, though the recoil itself is a non-issue, causing increased effort to get on the second bird, clearly as I progress from 1 oz. loads on up through heavier duck loads. Even though this is my favorite sporting clays S x S I have quit using it in competition just because of the control issue, even with 1 1/8 oz. loads. I can control my 30" BSS much better.

I know Nash B. used a straight gripped gun with heavy loads, but he was a much more athletically built man than me. I'm 6'2" at 165#, and maybe I'm just a wimp.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I stand corrected, poppycock is not a term I should have used lightly. Hogwash is far more accurate a term.

As for the English, I'll put faith in what they say about shotguns only after they nail down the toothbrush.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, the terms poppycock and hogwash are unnaceptable when discusing the obvious merits of SxS's with straight stocks and double triggers vs SxS's with PG's fitted with equally ugly BT's and slow to function selective ST's. To those that disagree, I say balderdash.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randall, I stand corrected. I should have paid more attention.

We are in accordance.

Best,

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
RPr Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot double triggers so long it does not make a bit of difference.

I shoot skeet with cylinder and improved cylinder chokes and switch front to back or back to front without a second thought.

I prefer straight stock because they look good.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.