I stopped by my gunsmith today to ask some questions about a German 16ga SxS I have, when we were done he asked if I had any interest in single shots. I replied that yes, I have become interested in them recently then he brought out the gun below. He had been asked to help clean out the guns from an old house and he has no interest in them so he made a gift of it to me.

I saw there was post here a while back inquiring about the way Mr. Gipson marked his work, but not much else. This gun is only marked V. Gipson on the barrel's left side, beneath the scope rail. No other marks by the caliber designation.

Michael, do you have some info you can paste here about Vernor Gipson, when he was active, what kind of work he did, etc. I'd like to know more about the man. Would he have only rebarreled this Enfield

BTW, it has a Browning Superposed buttplate and what's up with that pitch?

It has a Weaver 330 mounted on a rail and one of the crosshairs has a knot in it.

He also had some old scopes, does anyone recognize this one? It's 16" long, and 3/4"dia. It is brass under the black paint, the only mark on the scope is 5X but the fixed ring is marked Winchester and the adjustable ring has no marks other than the numbers 0-5-10-15 on the knobs. This one also has a know in one of the crosshairs, was this common in older scopes?

thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn