I've only ever found 2 things "under the recoil pad" that weren't there when the gun was made; strangely enough, they were two different stocks for the same gun!

I bought an old Krieghoff Model 32; when I bought it, I got a 3-day inspection. But, since it was a Friday, I had to figure out if I wanted to keep it by Monday. Normally, the weekend would be a great time to make that determination, but this was an exception. Upon receipt, I immediately called Krieghoff to discuss sending the gun in for an Annual Service. I was asked the serial #, gave it, and was given some bad news: The gun might not actually be a K-gun, but could have been made with left over Remington 32 parts (early, 3-digit number). To make the determination, I needed to pull the stock.

The pad came off just fine, but there was something down the bolt-hole blocking access to the stock bolt. I couldn't tell was it was at first; I now think it was an old fiber wad for a 28 ga. After struggling a bit, I got it out, but something else was there: a fired 28 ga hull! I could see the primer had been popped, so I knew it was safe; after a brainstorming session with 2 friends, we finally figured out how to get it out: we cut the end off a screw, screwed on end into a cleaning rod, and the other end was driven into the hull until we could screw it in deep enough to gain purchase & pull the hull out. It had been filled with shot, & was being used as a weight. Mind you, all this was being done with the idea that I had a couple of hours to get the stock off & send pics to Ottsville for a determination of whether or not it was a K-Gun (if so, I keep it, if not, I send it back!). We made it just in time.

I just bought a used K-80 stock to have fitted to the same gun. When I pulled the recoil pad, once again there was something down the bolt hole! This time, though, it was a real recoil reducer. I couldn't get it out, & asked Krieghoff to pull it out, fit the stock & reinstall it before sending it back WITH the correct bolt to pull it out myself.

Last edited by BPGuy; 08/29/09 12:50 AM.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society