June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
11 members (Gunning Bird, HalfaDouble, Kolar Dickson, Argo44, journeymen, 2 invisible), 371 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,603
Posts546,894
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
My hats off to you guys that shoot 1 and 1 1/4 ounces of #2 at geese. At any kind of range, the pattern density is so low that you really must be fine shots to be centering them every time.

Out of my hammer gun I shoot 1 3/8 or 1 5/8 ounce loads when I can get them. I've got some black powder bismuth loads that are backed up with 5 drams of black powder and that seems about right for real goose shooting.

How many shells do you really shoot at geese anyway? On a good day with an early or late season 8-10 bird limit, if you're any kind of gunner, you're going to shoot maybe 20 shells? What's a little blue on the shoulder when you've had a day like that?

Give the birds some respect, bring out the big guns and the big shells. If you want to shoot 1 ounce loads why don't you just borrow a nice 20 gauge from your ladyfriends.

Big Birds should equal Big Guns & Big Shells

If you want to shoot a 10 gauge, shoot 10 gauge shells. If you want to shoot 20 gauge loads then break out the women's guns.

Destry

You are getting me laughing again MarketHunter....
yea......the big guns were made large payloads...agreed. They are probably most effective with the heavy loads also. For the short 10 I have been loading 1 1/8oz of Bismuth #2 which probably has about the same number of pellets of somewhere between 1 1/4 to 1 3/8oz of #2 lead. I am not going to cut one open and count the pelletts. The Velocity is around 1200-1250.

The booklet that Gunnerman books sells has some short 10 loads with SR7625 that go up to 1 1/2oz but the pressures are getting up to 7980 and 9620 psi....which is a little higher that I like to push the old guns. I might be comfortable with the 7890psi out of a stout gun but the velocity is at 1145f/s..which may be just fine for such a heavy load. There is a 1 3/8oz load that is at 7600psi and 1200fps that may be just the ticket....I may have to try that one with some ITX #2 or #4 and it may just fill the SP10 wad.....I dropped off a gun a local gun smith and he had a few bags of SP10 wads collecting dust. He sold me 6 bags for $15 including a bag of versalite 10ga that I have never seen before.

Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kurt,

Was good to see you over the weekend, wish we'd have had a chance to visit more.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone know how these loads are on Condor..?

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Them condors don't eat too good, they're about like labrador duck.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could just tart that meat up with spicy teriyaki and make some jerky.

Think spicy teriyaki condor jerky would sell well at the gun show..?

Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only to hunters in California who wish they were extinct.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

...Or anyone from anywhere who's interested in hunting with vintage guns and rifles in the affected area and doesn't want to push copper solids through their rifles or (anything but lead) through their guns...

Bet it wouldn't take long to sell out!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, condor is reported to taste like a cross between spotted owl and bald eagle, by those who've had the privilege of dining on all three.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perfect.
Thanks for the note.

Spicy Teriyaki it is then.

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
Kurt,

Was good to see you over the weekend, wish we'd have had a chance to visit more.

DLH

I couldn't agree more.
...last time I saw ya you setting in the chair with your head back and trying to catch flies in your mouth...must have been a rough night...LOL

Thanks for letting me leave the gun on your table.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.