Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
birmingham stuff like this usually bears army & navy co-op name, so wr&co is a pleasant surprise.

Not sure what you mean. Birmingham boxlock double rifles like this usually bear the name of a London maker, of which Army & Navy was only one of many. Army & Navy's boxlock double rifles varied in quality from very good to excellent, because they used top trade makers. Westley Richards made some for Army & Navy. Most came from Webley & Scott. Having experience with both, I prefer the Webley boxlock DR to the Westley, as I feel Webley made the better double rifle action. Many Webley A & W C and PHV-1 model boxlock DRs bear the Army & Navy name, as well as a host of others, like Holland & Holland, Lancaster, Gibbs, Evans, Alex Henry, Rigby, Lang, etc. Webley also made double rifles for Westley Richards. I just handled this one. Its a standard Webley PHV-1 model:

http://www.drake.net/westleyrichards.577

Westley Richards No. T7781, Webley & Scott No. 13458. Engraving pattern is Webley's and is identical to that found on Webley DRs built for many other makers, which means Webley almost certainly finished this rifle and supplied it to Westley complete.

With pre-war British boxlock double rifles, the name engraved on it doesn't tell you as much as you might think.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."