June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (FlyChamps, steve voss, irs, m-4), 365 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,600
Posts546,877
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

A retired gentlemen with plenty of time on his hands can sort through, clean, catalogue, market, collect, and ship the individual parts and be happy about getting near retail for the parts.

A young man with a house, yard, garden, wife, kids, career, birddogs, and parents is much more pressed for time. He might be delighted to get 40% of retail for the old junk.

Just like shoes, one size doesn't fit all.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For the right gun, paying retail to the guy at a gun show is no problem. Lower grade, good condition doubles, the difference between retail and wholesale, isn't much. Buying private party to private party cuts big nose brother and the state taxman neatly out of the loop. I'd rather buy a gun from an individual.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Me too Ted- both 12 gauge older Smiths I have I bought privately-after I sold the heavy HE Fox last Fall. Like my gunning hero the late Nash B. in his later years he went from the second Becker Magnum to a Winchester M50 12 gauge, amongst others- lighter and less recoil perhaps- also his cataract in the right eye might have been a factor as well. I did buy the "semi-distressed" LeFever G 12 from a small "Mom and Pop" gunshop, but I prefer the private sale and exam period. I may have mis-spoke when I mentioned Numrich "screwing" someone- it all depends on what you have and the market, and as I have an inherent distrust of East Coast based businesses, and they are based in NJ or New York- several addresses shown I guess-As the old saying goes- you never lose money on anything you own until you sell it-Also remember what Bill Jaqua of Findlay, Ohio once told me: "Never buy a gun you can't afford to keep"--
+

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like some of the others said, go with your own online auctions.

1. I have no association with Gunparts Corp. I know they pay around 10% of retail value. That sounds like a pittance and is to many people selling parts. However, from a business standpoint, GPC buys and warehouses millions and millions of parts, some common and readily saleable and many they will sit on for years till some gun crank comes along and buys it. What do you think their turn over on inventory is? Think about tying up millions of dollars and sitting on much of it for years and years and look at a 50-60% gross profit on it? How many of you would pay 30-40% of the retail value for run of the mill gunparts you wont use for years and years? They are in business to make money. for all of the really prime parts they buy they sure do buy a bunch of stuff for some of the most arcane guns ever made. and when you need that bridle for some weird sidelock and they are the ones that have it, you will pay for it. No doubt.

2. Just like I dont begrudge the guy selling his gun and wanting all he can get for it and the dealer wanting to pay as little as possible, the market dictates the final sale. No one forces anyone to sell. The customer who thinks he made ahell of a deal on a gun from a dealer trumpets his score, and the dealer does the same. It all boils down to who wants what and who blinks first.when either side is unrealistic then there is arguement for the other.

3. selling parts can be easy or it can be hard. "By the part" is a long slow process that will eat you alive. clean the major crud off them and put each guns worth of parts on a good solid color background, take several good overhead photos that clearly show all that is there and list that as one batch of parts. do that for each gun type and thats the best way. of course if it is some rarity or premium gun (like an A.H. Fox) that the parts are for, thats a different story. Then you do a photo or photos of each iten; trigger guard, hammer and sear, forened iron etc.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Brian; 03/28/09 04:18 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think what Brian is saying if you have popular parts like winchester model 12 stocks...AH Fox parts...ect...sell them yourself...if you have a box full of parts for only God knows what and hardware store single shots...sell them to Numrich...or to the local scrap dealer for remelt....

gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gun Nut- most of the parts will need sorting and cleaning, although they were soaked in Hoppe's No. 9 and then put in cigar boxes lined with old clean towels apparently. I have schematics for quite a few shotguns and rifles- but there is always the unknown. He does have some stocks, forearms and buttplates and recoil pads for field grade Model 12's- I've bought a few- specifically for the 20 ga M12 I received new in 1952, and the 28 ga. (1940 field gun)I acquired- as when my grandkids get "of age" instead of shortening the original buttstocks of each and thus ruining them (IMO) I have two spares I can alter, and keep the originals intact for later. Very wise idea at WRA- the 12 ga. M12 has its own size receiver and stock group, but the 16-20 and 28 all have the same size receiver and buttstock. Never owned a Model 21, but am guessing that same is true there also=-we shall see what develops, again, thanks.. Fox

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

about as good as cash4gold.com.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Numrich provides a service that I've used in the past. Probably most here have, as well. Glad they're around.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GregSY, if they paid 40% I'd think that fair. They tend to pay more like 4% in my experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could also try to see what some local shops in your area might be willing to give you for the parts. They might give you just as much, if not less than GPC, but who knows. If they really need some parts in there they probably wont let you go without some cash in your hand.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.