June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 441 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,590
Posts546,774
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello guys, I just picked up this beauty and I was wondering if anyone can tell me about it. It's marked "Rival No.3" and it has "Pine Laminated" on the top of the barrel ridge. It has a few issues such as a loose left hammer, a small dent in the left barrel and a small crack in the right side of the stock by the hammer. Other wise, it seems really solid. I'd like to know more about this gun like when it was made, is it safe to shoot, what size chamber (so I can get the right black powder cartridges) and any input on what to do with the barrel dent and loose hammer.

So what's a first post without pictures?

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the board. Hopefully you will stay around. You may learn a bit and contribute.

Rival is a known trade name of Crescent. The Rival was made for the Van Camp Hardware and Iron Company of Indianapolis, Indiana. They were cheap, utility guns when they were made, mostly selling for under $20.00. The barrels were produced in Belgium to a very low price point, usually under $2.00 for both tubes.

The gun in not worth restoration at this point. Do not shoot this gun without having it examined by a qualified gunsmith. In the state it is in, I would not trust black powder loads in it.

Your interest in old sxs guns is to be commended. As time goes on, you will learn what to look for.

Pete
`

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I was hoping to be able to shoot it, but I picked it up for just $69 so I won't be sad to make it a nice wall hanger. I would really like to get a nice (modern) coach gun someday.

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Sidelock
Sidelock

Even if this was a gun was from a high quality maker, in the condition it's in and the type of barrels it has, it is unsafe and and not worth any restoration cost. Sorry, but it should be assigned as a "wall hanger".
When looking for old doubles, stay with the high quality makers(U.S.A. in this case) like L.C. Smith, Parker, A.H. Fox, Ithaca, Remington, or Colt.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

RocketFoot - first let me compliment you on the quality and layout of your Photographs - those are great !

Secondly, I will offer another opinion, if you have any interest in gun tinkering this would make a very good first project.

Last edited by postoak; 03/08/09 10:26 AM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockie, tinkering is fine, but start with a stable base. Don't through good money after bad just for the sake of a "first project". This is not a stable base!

I don't know what I'm going to do with you! :p

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the board. Your photos are excellent but I have to agree with the others, that this should be assigned to wall-hanger duty.
Again, welcome.
jl

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think someone has already tinkered with this one. Looks to me like the hammers are not original to the gun and don't fit; the wood at the head of the stock had to be grooved on both sides to allow the hammers room for movement. Come to think of it those hammers might be off a Remington.

Welcome to the BBS. Take that gun apart, clean it and practice putting it back together. Then put it on the wall...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

Looks to me like the hammers are not original to the gun and don't fit; the wood at the head of the stock had to be grooved on both sides to allow the hammers room for movement.

The action around the detonarors is "grooved" also. The hammers look original to me.

Nice wall hanger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have restocked one of those and the grooves in the head of the stock to allow clearance of the hammers are correct. hammers are original.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.