WOW, I checked a few of the papers from that conference. I doubt if any of them would ever get published in a peer reviewed science journal.

For example, here is a paper by Micheal J Kosnett entitled "Health Effects of Low Dose Lead Exposure in Adults and Children, and Preventable Risk Posed by the Consumption of Game Meat Harvested with Lead Ammunition".

Here is a quote from that paper:

"The North Dakota Department of Health, in conjunction with the National Center for Environmental Health of the US CDC, recently conducted a survey of blood lead concentrations among a convenience sample of 740 individuals, 80.8% of whom reported a history of wild game consumption, predominantly venison (Iqbal et al. 2008). Almost all of the subjects were adults, with the exception of 7 subjects between the ages of 2 to 5 years (0.9%), and 12 subjects between the ages of 6 to 14 years (1.6%). The geometric mean blood lead concentration was 1.17 μg/dL (range 0.18 to 9.82 μg/dL), lower than the U S population geometric mean of 1.56 μg/dL for adults 20 years of age and older (CDC 2005a). Eight participants (1.1%) had blood lead concentrations ≥ 5 μg/dL. In multivariate analysis that adjusted for age, sex, race, age of housing, and leadrelated occupations and hobbies, individuals who reported consuming game meat had an increment in blood lead of 0.3 μg/dL (95% C.I. 0.157, 0.443). In like manner, individuals who had consumed game meat within the past month had a covariate-adjusted blood lead concentration that was 0.3 to 0.4 μg/dL higher than those who had last consumed it more than 6 months ago. Based upon the findings of this survey, the North Dakota Department of Health advised that pregnant women and children younger than 6 years of age should not eat venison harvested with lead bullets (NDDH 2008)."

My reading of that extract shows that the people surveyed had blood lead concentrations which were 0.39 μg/dL lower than the general population even though over 80% of them consumed wild game meat. Even the ones who had a wild game meal within the past six months only increased their blood level by 0.3 μg/dL, which still did not bring their levels up to the general population.

This paper also shows a graph of blood lead levels over the past 30 years, it drops from 15 μg/dL to about 1.5 μg/dL which is most likely due to the elimination of leaded gasoline.

Regards - Ian Forrester