Quote:
Am distressed that Starkey doesn't have a dedicated product brouchure describing how they are supposed to be tuned and used.

Mine are analog so may not work the same as yours. Having said that, there should be no "tuning" required. The audiologist should have tested your hearing, made silicone molds of your ears and sent all off to Starkey. Starkey made the shells to fit your ear molds and programmed the electronics to boost your hearing in the ranges where you need help. Mine provide a max boost of 26db, and attenuate the sound at 92db. The attenuation happens in milliseconds, and I still hear the shot at 92db, but nothing above that volume, so no hearing trauma. If you have a volume control on the units, you can adjust the gain on each side, but nothing above 92db should get through if you have a good fit. These don't work the same as Mickey Mouse Muffs; you should still be able to hear everything going on around you, but not at a volume that will cause damage. If you don't want to hear ambient sounds, just turn off the gain control and they will work like static molded plugs. You will still hear loud noises (like gunshots) but it will be muffled, just like wearing the molded plugs that you can get fitted for at the big shoots.

The effectiveness of these units is closely related to the quality of the fit, so if you are getting leakage (usually accompanied by the typical hearing aid feedback screech), then the audiologist may need to take another set of impressions and have Starkey make new shells for you.

Once you get a good fit, these things are low maintenance. Just keep them clean and change the batteries when they stop working. The earpieces used to be molded only in silicone, but they are now also available in a harder plastic that is more durable. My silicone molds split after about eight years, so they are going back for new molds in the harder material. As your hearing changes, the audiologist can reprogram them to match your new hearing loss. Most audiologists have never seen shooters' hearing protection, so no surprise that yours is fumbling a bit. But, it's just not that complicated.