June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Gr8day), 306 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,577
Posts546,595
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I apologize to those who have heard this story before. Hopefully as someone said, I hope they have better breeding by now. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad had one for a while,name of "Talky". Dad used to hit him upside the head with a rubber boot each time we tried to hunt him, "to get his attention". Didnt work. My mother suggested a lobotomy. I think my Dad performed one.

Boxlock
Boxlock

By the way the Irish red setter running on this video is 50% american
I think, Sir is

AKCSN326755/03
Celtic's Dixie Rebel

http://russianpointdogs.ning.com/video/film-ohota-s-legavymi-v

Sidelock
Sidelock

JimmyW - I'm still over your setter stories.

I had significantly better luck with mine, got him when I was 14 and he was nowhere near the horror of your dog. He was...ummm....one colorful character but never that insanely destructive. Hardly ever chewed anything (anything valuable anyway) once he grew out of puppyhood. Heckuva pheasant dog (this was back in ancient times when western NY had actual wild pheasants) but could never keep him close enough for thick woods grouse or woodcock. Great family dog, too. The neighbor kid had a serious chronic illness and the dog adopted him, spending a lot of time at their house, coming home mostly to get fed and sleep. We always figured the kid needed him more, so we let it slide.

Getting any puppy is a roll of the dice, I've known individuals of many breeds that were hounds from hell, while others of the same breed were wonderful hunters and pets. Do your homework on breeders and you'll even the odds of getting a good one. Best of luck.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore:

My buddy has nothing against wirehairs. He actually likes my Elsa dog. He was always around English Setters and had heard of a "rebirth" of the Irish dogs. He is also considering a GWP or Pudelpointer. I need to get him past the "beauty" of the setter and see the real beauty of the bearded one. Thanks for the input all.

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Irish Red Setter is one of smartest dog among all English dogs.
It seems breed was broken not only in appearance, but mentaly also in USA .
I'd suggest to call to Paul Falkowsky in Canada, Manteo Kennel, he got both field trial and dual Irish Setters, his duals are able to compete with American FT dogs and spend 1/3 year in fields.
The problem is not many people saw the best dogs in fields. I saw some (people say they are FT dogs))) Am. pointers that have to be shot down where they are. The worst dog ever, they run 10 miles away and can't find no one bird!
I can't imagine my SHOW bred dual dog could work so bad.
All depends on trainer and good and lucky hunter. If you bad hunter, I can give you the best bred FT-Hunting dog and you will ruin this dog very soon! Just remember about it.
http://www.irishsetter.ca/

Last edited by Geno; 02/13/09 03:19 PM.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also would avoid the aggravation and frustration. Put him onto a real bird dog that hasn't had hunting bred out of them. Pointers,Setters, Brittanys, German Short Hairs and Labs are all
the right breeds for birds

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: snowman

By the way the Irish red setter running on this video is 50% american
I think, Sir is

AKCSN326755/03
Celtic's Dixie Rebel

http://russianpointdogs.ning.com/video/film-ohota-s-legavymi-v

Those dogs are very well trained. The dog is excellent but so is his training. Very impressive. I get to thinking my turdhounds are hot stuff until I see a couple of dogs like that run.

Thanks for posting that video.

I am leaving in a few minutes to hunt Bobwhite quail with my French Brittanys. Ten days left in the season.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/13/09 01:43 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
No offense, but I would talk my friend out of it if I were you. I had an Irish Setter once and he was the worse disiplined dog I have ever seen. My buddy/neighbor had one and he had the same problem. If they get loose, and they will, you won't find him for days- guaranteed. Especially a male. A true Irish Setter will have a small white crest of a few (maybe as few as 6-8)white hairs on it's chest. That is one of the ways to prove a puebred Irish Setter. But mine got loose (usually by digging under our chain link fence) so many times and I spent so many days chasing him it wasn't funny. If I turned him out in the yard and didn't watch him, he would do nothing but dig, trying to get out. And when he got out, he would run for days and miles around area- sometime for weeks before he was seen again. It is definitely not a breed I would ever recommend to anyone I called a friend. If you ever see the movie, Funny Farm with Chevy Chase where his Irish Setter got loose and he would see it every few days, running, as it passed by the house- that is exactly what they do. If you haven't seen it- rent it and show it to your friend to show him what he can expect. I am not joking, it is the most beautiful dog there is, but also the most miserable, unruly, scheming, untrustworthy, stupid, useless, worthless dog in the world. There were so many times when I caught mine after chasing him for days, I wanted to put a gun to his head and shoot him. Or run over him with the car. And I would have if I wouldn't have had my small son, who was about four or five at the time. I spent many nights out in the snow at three in the morning chasing that dog, having to get up the next morning to go to work. So, if your friend buys one, he will find out. I promise you. Good luck with your/his adventure.

Obviously Jimmy does know about good bred Irish Red setter dogs!
They are out there and i have one. The link below is a guy that runs them with all breds. I got my dog from Tom Hammonds because he didn't run big enough for him. He's good on quail.
http://silvercreek.nrsftc.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

While the AKC was breeding the hunt out of Irish Setters, folks in Europe and the United Kingdom were quietly breeding and hunting with excellent Irish Setters.

We had a few in the 70s and early 80s that ran well.

Do your research, avoid show people here in the states, and you will come up with a decent bird dog. These folks, http://www.settersunlimited.com (320-260-6585 click on Berg Bros setters and go to the red setter link) actually know what they are doing, and will get you into a hunting Irish Setter, unlike the folks posting here on their experiences from back in the day, when they bought a dog out of a newspaper ad. A friend owns one of their red dogs, never seen a better working dog in the field, period. Great family dog, as well.

Good Luck! Nothing better than a Setter, locked up on point.

Ted

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.