June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dave Weber, Tom Bryant, Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 402 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,604
Posts546,898
Members14,426
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sliver #126945 12/20/08 09:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only dealer I've bought a gun from that refunded shipping costs was Monty Whitley....after he recieved the gun back he agreed with what I said about it.

He didn't accuse me of anything like some dealers will do and he promptly refunded all my costs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to remember that one. I think that hombre got his money back, but after it's return I seem to recall there was no change in gun description when it was put back in sale rack.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents, I just became aware of this thread started by SLIVER.

I am SILVERS and I also post here often.

Some of you are interchanging the two webnames. Please be aware there are two of us here with very similar names but we are different people. Thanks. Frank Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had two dealers that I believe were dishonest. One about ten years ago and the other 3-4 years ago. I would not been bashful about their names. One is out of business and the other
seems to finally have stopped advertising on Auction Arms.
I think the name is important to help others miss the aggravations.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The outright lies to Sliver's direct questions would be unacceptable to me. Sure he got his money back, but he is still out shipping and insurance because of intentional lies. It won't happen of course, but he should actually be entitled to a refund for ALL costs.
Just my honest opinion.
Curtis

PA24 #126957 12/21/08 01:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought more guns over the internet than I should have. Many were on auction site but a few were from dealers. Most were about what I expected. A few were far from the described gun. About half of them were better than described. If I was unhappy I sent them back if the problem was too great.

Some problems are worse than others. Like the Sterlingworth with which shrunk from the expected 12 to a better than expected 16 in shipping. When I called the seller he said he did not know it was a 16 but that was my tough luck. He had an "iron tight" no return policy. I did not bother to tell him that I figured the gun was worth more in a 16 gauge. Let him figure he screwed me, I kept the gun.

If I called a dealer and asked specific questions I expect honest answers. Should a dealer deliberately lie I consider it fraud by deception.

KY Jon #126959 12/21/08 03:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My policy is that when I sell a gun, I sell it based on the described condition. I do my best to accurately describe the gun in detail. I encourage potential buyers to call me and ask me all the questions they want while I have the gun in my hands. I will do wall thickness measurements , whatever on the phone iwth them. I will weigh triggers etc. I will do all I can to give them the best idea of what the gun is because photos dont always do justice.

If the cusotmer agrees to buy it I give them 3 day return privilege, no questions asked; with one caveat: if they want to return it because they justy dont like it, doesnt fit them , whatever then they pay return shiping and I do not refund their initial shipping either. IF during their conversation about returning it, they indicate that there is something afoul that I missed, then I take it back and if i find the issue they stated I will refund their initial shipping.

I had a customer buy a Fox 16 through online auction from me. He asked loads of questions, I answered all of them. He bid and won the gun. He called me after getting the gun and said he didnt want it. I asked why because I want to know if I missed something. He said he didnt like the feel of the grip! I told him the grip was thicker than normal since it was restocked and indicated in the auction. He then said it didnt have an automatic safety. the push rod had been removed when it was restocked , I never thought to even look at that and he never asked. I asked if it was as described. He said yes it was just like I said it was both on the phone an din the auction description. I give 3 day inspection. I told him to send it back. It doesnt pay to try and tell the guy he owns it because its just as he asked and just as described. I refunded his money less the initial shipping. He turned around and went through his credit card company and filed a claim for the shipping charges that I didnt refund. I contested it and sent all of the documentation including the auction which showed the terms and conditions of sale and the terms and conditions of the Auction site. Needless to say I got charged back the amount of the initial shipping and ins.

I think I treated him very fairly and gave him a full refund on the price of the gun. of course the whole thing took longer that the relist policy of the auction site so I was also out the commission the site charged.

We all make honest mistakes on ocassion. I have found that for the one or two guns returned over the past 15 years that it is far cheaper to just take it back and give the money back regardless of what they say than to risk a reputation built over the years.

I could tell a story of a gun that was damaged in shipment and I didnt want it because it was damaged. I couldnt get a refund because "he didnt have the money". Then while we were trying to hash it out, he bought three guns on Gunbroker in the next month for more than the cost of the gun I bought. So much for not having the money to refund.

I have dealt with Steve Barnett in the past and have always had excellent experiences. I would buy from him again.

Last edited by Brian; 12/21/08 03:50 AM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Brian #126961 12/21/08 04:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would prefer not to get involved or give any input to this post, if you gentlemen don't mind. But, I WOULD like to file this away under "HORROR STORIES" as a reminder to myself that I am glad I NEVER buy guns over the internet and never will buy one without without seeing it first hand. So, thank you all for all the useful information. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to go and pat myself on the back for my accomplishments. Good day!!

KY Jon #127008 12/21/08 01:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon:
I have bought and sold many guns on GunBroker without any problems. I have had more issues in the packing method, than in the gun or discription of same........if a gun is listed with crummy photos, no close ups, dark rooms and limited ten word discriptions, I let someone else take the chance..no matter what the gun or value.

Received a bolt Anschutz once with the bolt sticking out of the box...exciting, eh.

Most sellers with good feedback and a history on the site, are honest.

Doug

PA24 #127012 12/21/08 01:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24
Some people are idiots when it comes to shipping. I bought a PW hydraulic unit for a shooting buddy and the seller shipped it without draining the fluid out of it. A pint plus of oil sure makes a mess. Seller said it was UPS's fault as he drew arrows pointing to the top side and they should not have laid the box of its side or top. Lucky they delivered the box at all.

One seller shipped a gun to me in a box without any placing packing material of any type at all and wrote on the box do not bend, fold or mutilate. Gun was a project gun and arrived in about the same shape it was shipped in by shear dumb luck.

One of the best shippers is Brian of Afghanistan. Well packed and great dealer to work with.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.