Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How about posting a picture of your, and I think we're talking about a 400 nitro express double rifle here?
I'd like to see it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sadly, there's no such thing as an inexpensive (sub-$1k) properly finished bolt action hunting rifle."

I have to take exception to this statement. My Ruger 77s have performed vey well as my principal big game hunting rifles over the years. Are they in the same league as a custom built rifle?
Of course not but they'll deliver 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long and this is more than adequate for a hunting rifle. I doubt if any "proper finishing" would improve on this.
My first Remington 1100,which is the epitome of a mass produced shotgun, cost under $200 when I bought it years ago brand new. Is it in the same class as a hand fitted double old or new? Of course not but none of the trap or skeet targets broken with it seem to know the difference.
I own and shoot older hand crafted doubles because I enjoy the link with the past and the workmanship that went into their assembly. If all I cared about was killing the most game possible or breaking as many targets as I could I'd use an 1100 exclusively.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 11/01/08 06:17 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

1-1-1/2" groups is pretty much standard for any properly made factory rifle these days, but that's the key, "properly made". If you get one that measures up to Rem., Win., Rug., or CZ's own specs and properly mount a scope on it of sufficient power you should be able to get 1-2" groups with factory ammo. I have lever guns that shoot that well as well as a Browning BPS with a slug bbl that will do under 2".

All the other bells and whistles is part of pride of ownership. I like bells and whistles...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love those pictures of the old hunters and their 99s & 94s.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Savage 1899 is among best repeating rifles ever made. With fully loaded rotary magazine it balances very well. I have 1949 vintage EG .300 and it's a gem. Even today it is amazingly modern looking rifle. Federal Cartridge makes excellent 180gr spitzer SP in .300, so be sure to check them out.

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
How about posting a picture of your, and I think we're talking about a 400 nitro express double rifle here?
I'd like to see it!

I've never posted pictures on the internet and don't know how. The rifle I'm referring to isn't my .450/.400. It's a William Evans .400/.360 2 3/4" Nitro Express.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Austrian made Voere 30:06 with a Swarovski 3X9 thats been sitting in the back of the safe since I quit deer hunting 6 or 7 years ago; its keeping my Winchester model 100 with 2X7 Redfield Widefield thats been back there for about 15 years company...Dust collectors yea..but how many shotguns can you own...and Id have to fill those slots with something dont ya know...might as well be some guns that hold memories..

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Italiansxs. I have an older model Ruger 77 that I handload for, that groups sub MOA at 100 yds. I took the stock off years ago. Stripped it, slimmed it down some, and refinished it. Hunted it in some terribly inclement weather without it changing it's POI. It shot well before I modified it. IMO, I just improved it to more my liking.

It's definately not custom, but it's generally my "go to" gun, over my semi-custom rifles. Not much "wow" factor, but I'm serious about my elk and deer hunting, and know that this gun will get the job done.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Cameron
I have to agree with Italiansxs. I have an older model Ruger 77 that I handload for, that groups sub MOA at 100 yds. I took the stock off years ago. Stripped it, slimmed it down some, and refinished it. Hunted it in some terribly inclement weather without it changing it's POI. It shot well before I modified it. IMO, I just improved it to more my liking.

It's definately not custom, but it's generally my "go to" gun, over my semi-custom rifles. Not much "wow" factor, but I'm serious about my elk and deer hunting, and know that this gun will get the job done.

Reality strikes here. I like custom made beautifly finished guns of all types particularly esquisite doubles. However from a practical perspective the mass produced hunting firearms from Winchester,Remington, Ruger etc. will get the job done day after day and not require your mortgaging your house to acquire one.
That's assuming you could still get a mortgage!
Lets hope these examples of Amerincan practicality will always be available so the common man can afford to hunt.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something that may help. I bought a mint .250 Ruger Model 77 from a person I did not know but he seemed trustworthy. It wouldn't group four inches at 100 yards. I was more disappointed in the young man than the rifle. I tried a dozen different combinations of powder and bullet with little improvement.

Live and learn. Out of the blue months later, driving home in my half-ton , I remembered a gunwriter somewhere describing the importance of tightening the bolt that angles up under the magazine cover. Bingo! The kid who thought he was unloading a palooka sold me a MOA tackdriver.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.