June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, SKB), 249 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,461
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly, there's no such thing as an inexpensive (sub-$1k) properly finished bolt action hunting rifle. My POI story involved a M77 Ruger. I certainly agree that glass bedding works. However, synthetic stock versions of domestic bolt guns are less expensive than their walnut stocked counterparts. Factor in the added cost/time of a glass bedding job, and I can see no reason not to go with the ultimate glass bedded stock, ie., the synthetic stock. Its not like sub-$1k walnut stocked rifles come with knockout wood, anyway.

If you want a really nice walnut stock and custom rifle, by all means glass bed the thing. But I'm still not one to take such a gem out in really nasty weather.

I'm trying to imagine a double rifle worth more than my F-350 living for months at a time under the back seat........can't see it.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like my model 71 Winchester Deluxe. The long tang version comes to the shoulder like a shotgun. I've owned both long and short tang rifles. Every dimension looks the same to me but the long tang just feels diffrent. The .348 cartridge is a real thumper and has taken a few big Maine bucks. I'm lucky in that mine will shoot 1 1/2" off of bags. Any other rifle I take with me is just a backup,I love it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

6 boxes of Remington .348 ammo have come my way but they're all 150 gr. loads. My thinking is why 150 gr. loads in a .348, isn't the reason for a .348 to use heavier bullets?ANyway, now I have to find a M71 to shoot that ammo....

Tanky, have you ever shot 150 gr. loads in your M71? How do they group?

Thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

No more comments about the common American till you get a 99 and head out in the rain.

AKA garyg, depending on how confused and which computer Im on.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have a deer problem (too many) in our little town due to urban encroachment into their normal habitat and feeding by certain misguided souls.

The city authorizes removal of 75-150 deer per year by state game and fish hired shooters.

Weapon of choice...22 rim fire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Classic" eastern woods deer rifle! My 1942 99RS with a G&H mounted scope in .300 Savage.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn

Missouri allows resident landowners to hunt small game with rimfire ammunition during deer season without a permit. As a purported landowner, LG knows or should know that deer may be taken by "Any legal method:...[including]"handgun or rifle firing centerfire ammunition" 3 CSR 10-7.431(C) The regs further provide that resident landowners do not need a deer permit to hunt deer on their land. There is no provision for anyone to hunt deer with rimfire rifles.

Missouri has a proud tradition of responsible gun ownership and land stewardship. Since the 1930's, the Missouri Department of Conservation has been at the vangard of promoting habitat and wild game restoration and restoring hunting privileges as game such as deer and turkey became re-established in sufficient numbers.

skatr2

Sidelock
Sidelock

Recoil Rob, I have a box of 150 Gr Remingtons also. I don't know how they shoot. No 150 gr jacketed .348's are made today to experiment with but I'm sure they are fine for deer. The normal weight is 200grs. Cartridge collectors may be more interested in the ammo than hunters. I have a small supply of Win silvertips that I use and when they are gone it will be the Hornaday 200's in reloads. I've heard that 71's generally shoot 6" groups and the previous one I owned shot just that. My long tang shoots good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

great pictures grogel,my father in law used to hunt the catskills with a 99 in 358 Win (silver tips)
Rob and tanky I like those early long tang 71's as well,here are a couple pics of a buck I shot with mine a few years ago,its a pre war 71.

Hillary For Prison 2018

Originally Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson
Sadly, there's no such thing as an inexpensive (sub-$1k) properly finished bolt action hunting rifle.

That's why I quit wasting money on them years ago. Real quality has always been expensive and any expectation that it be otherwise is fantasy. Your point is well taken though. In today's world, it takes expedients like synthetic to make cheap work, after a fashion.

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine a double rifle worth more than my F-350 living for months at a time under the back seat........can't see it.

Hell, it's worth more than my 4WD, too, but what I can't imagine is leaving ANY gun in a vehicle for months. I've had vehicles stolen. Not smart to lose a gun along with it. I don't even leave my .45 in mine.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.