June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (PALUNC), 529 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,582
Posts546,700
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill,
If I cant find somebody locally, I will take you up on your offer. Thanks, Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

Send it to Bill G. Great guy to talk with and he knows welding!
Cheers,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another consideration with gun parts is it's material. I wonder why it snapped and just didn't bend. Even being casehardend it should have bent. I would anneal it before welding. That can be done in your oven on the clean cycle. If you don't you may end up with a big blob of porosity at the weld zone. Hopefully they didn't use cast iron for that part. That will make things really tricky. I agree that someone that works on guns and welds would be a better choice for the repair. There is functional welding and restoration welding and the corner shop may just weld it for function. I also weld for a living and wouldn't let many of the guys I work with get anywhere near my guns with a welding rig.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb:
Congratulations on the SAC acquisition and hopefully the top-lever will be a minor repair issue. You have made some astute observations on the early and later SAC gun differences; and are correct in your evaluation of top-lever modifications. Top-levers on the earliest guns are the most delicate (the earliest example I have seen is serial number 37, and an even earlier prototype with some unusual features); then the levers are "beefed-up somewhat by serial number 5XXX, and finally transition into the "clubby" shaped levers seen on your later gun (differences which I attempted to illustrate in one of my SAC articles). However, the amount of metal in a SAC top lever was also determined, to some unknown extent, by the weight of the gun; lighter guns got more filing, and heavier guns less. In the case of your early AE, your photo shows the frame to exhibit what I have referred to (due to my ignorance for a better term) as "flattend" breech balls, whereas the later gun has the typical and most common rounded breech ball treatment. I have seen a fair number of SAC guns with the flattened breech ball feature (to include one lower grade model, a Grade 2), and all were lightweight guns with 28" barrels. It is not uncommon to see 28" guns without that feature; but they are generally heavier. I have never recorded a SAC gun having 30" or 32" barrels with the "flattened" breechball feature (but there's likely one out there somewhere!). Originally I thought this a feature used only on the earliest SAC graded guns; but have since seen the one lower grade, and presently own two late examples (1902 and 1904) also having that feature, and again both are 28" lightweight guns. The later example is a CE Grade; and, at some point prior to my acquisition, it also suffered a broken top lever; a problem that a previous owner resolved by replacing the lever with an unengraved piece salvaged from a low grade gun. As C Grade SAC guns are very rare, I have yet to find the appropriate engraving pattern so that the replacement can be re-cut in a style similar to the original. As it appears you find SAC guns interesting, email me at thomas.archer@charter.net and I'll send photos of the unique SAC prototype (I'm too dense to understand how to post photos directly to this forum).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross,
Send it to Bill G. He needs the practice. :p Just kiddin. Bill could weld tin foil together.

reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the pics that Tom sent me of the awesome Syracuse. WoW!!

That is one good looking Syracuse! Prettiest one I've ever seen. I usually dont care too much for the shape of the frame, but this one overall is very pleasing to the eye!

Best,
Dustin

"We've got clearance Clarence."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.