June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 314 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,019
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot it, enjoy it, care for it, treat it as well as you can so that it will be a treasure for your family in the future. "It will tell stories of the hunts that greandpa did. They were made to shoot, shootum unless it is an investment for you, then hold and sell when the price is high. If you arn't going to sell it then it is not an investment.
Jeff G.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

King I think you are on to something. I buy guns to collect/shoot and the condition and or rariety determines which guns are shot and which are not. I have very few that I do not shoot, another being a Remington 1894 with Remington Arms Co written in the damascus. That gun too was made to shoot, but what if I blew those barrels up. I would be sick. So I do not shoot it.

For the careful ones, be careful. A friend took his Winchester M-21 20 gauge with #6 engraving (if not exact, something real close) and let his friend pick it up, as he was holding it someone called his name and he turned sideways and the stock hit squarely on the corner of the table and left a divot about the size of an eraser. It got nasty.

The second careful one was me. The weather was perfect, so what the heck, I'll take one of my "babies" with me for an easy hunt. And it was nice and easy until I stepped on a log thats bark was just sitting on it from some decompasition(and hidden under some cover). Down I went on the gun and I heard the loudest SNAP that I've heard since my mom twitched my brother Scot's and my butt for throwing apples at the neighbor's cat.

Thank goodness this was not a top shelf gun, but what I learned was, at any time crap can hit the fan no matter how careful you are. So make sure that you can deal with the worst if it happens.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

This site is a wonder. Here we are choosing up sides to debate this old chestnut and Muderlak pounces on Foxy's second-hand anecdotes from his summer reading list. Ed's version of William Hardon [sic] Foster's search for a name for his game really made my day.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What??????? I'm only a damn sidelock, what do you mean by that?

Last edited by Timothy S; 10/19/08 07:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Tim. The post header autoreferences the last post read. Response was to EDM's gloss on RWF; a few layers of embedded quotation might have helped and again maybe not.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JM
Originally Posted By: Timothy S
My question to all y'all is:

1) Would you have shot this gun?

2) If so, would you have shot it in the rain?

Answer:

1) Yes, that's what they were made for.

2) No.

I always carry 'Rifle Rain Coat' in my pocket. They used to be available from MTM Case-Gard. Got mine at Clarks Bros. in Warrenton Va.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These guns were made to be shot!
I've a handsome Beesley Sle 12b - when Frederick left James Purdey to set-up on his own, he had 28xx guns serial numbered to his shop.
Of these were best Sle, 2nd quality Sle, ble, blne, magazine rifles and pistols.
Now with these best Sle guns, there's maybe only so many in good condition worldwide...and mine went out today!
Altho, I do not hunt it in bad weather - there are others for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of ya'll got lots better weatherman than I do.WTB mint Fox HE for duck hunting on bluebird days

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister Jagermeister

Loc: W KNIEI You are in desperate need of something 12br in 6.5lb-6.75lb range with 1/4---3/4 choking and 28" barrel length. It is internationaly acknowledged that the English made and make best bored barrels. Don't take it the wrong way, but there isn't much to pick from the list you have provided. May I suggest something of Birmingham manufacture with Sir Joseph Whitworth Fluid Compressed steel barrels?
Jagermeister I can hardly believe that you of all the posters would care what I did with my nice LC. "Isn't much to chose from the list you have provided" Here is the next one I just might take out in a snow storm to see how it handles some ducks. JWA gun is no different than a piece of land. The owner is free to do with it as he chooses. Improve, develop, hold, whatever. Now if anyone would like to keep these for themselves and cherish in whatever way they would like, everything I have other than my wife and dogs are for sale for the right price. I would love to set some sort of record on price. Anyone got a 16 ga. mdl 21 and want to trade? JW

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.