Some of those cheap scopes are truly impressive. Maybe I wouldn't count on one if I was going on safari, but, if I had the inclination to do a "Thorny crow safari" I wouldn't think twice about it. I was reading about an optical factory (far east, of course) that had a production area that wasn't lit, when a machine broke, the repairman had to bring a light to work on the unit. Alas, good guns won't be like that any time soon. I'm sure an accountant somewhere is just sick about it, too.
I saw NO machines in the G. Granger shop in St. Etienne. Three guys at a bench with hand tools. The Bruchet's have a machine that profiles the inside of the barrels, the outside is struck by hand. The only other machine that they used was a small lathe with a jig ('er,I mean, fixture) for drilling the hole for the bolt in the buttstock. They do contract with a guy for rifle cut (spreader) barrels on shotguns, and I think the double rifle barrels are purchased in a finished state on the ID. The action start as round forgings that are delievered with three rough cuts made around each piece. The balance is done by hand.
Best,
Ted